Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Bad computer! Bad! Bad!

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 01:11 AM
motobecane1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad computer! Bad! Bad!

I have chased an intermittent run problem for a couple months and was very surprised to find that it was an O2 issue. 2001 1500 5.2 van. I had a bad bog(LEAN LEAN LEAN) that would occur during A heat soak restart. Would happen for about 30 sec. to 1 min. It progressed to doing it on cold starts and FINALLY set a PO138 code. This after chasing all the other NORMAL stuff(vac leaks, fuel pressure, intake troubles, computer, grounds, among other stuff) To finally get a code that GM, Ford and about all the other makes would have set immediately and repeatedly is an education of the stupidity of the engineering staff on this one. Plus I couldn't access voltage or cross-counts with my scan tool. It set the code once. That's all. Anyone else as uninpressed as I am? Installed a couple of NTK O2's and all is now well. This is something that I normally diagnose in about 10 min. instead takes 2 or 3 hours total??

Last edited by motobecane1; 08-02-2012 at 01:14 AM.
Old 08-12-2012, 12:53 AM
stev
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With every Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep ... Mopar, just turn the key on/off/on 3X and look at the digital odometer. It will display the code. With older vehicles, it will blink a series of times to show you the code. My ScanGageII does this too while plugged into the OBDII port. I've been getting the P0138 for over a year. It comes and goes. Nothing really happens with the van outside of normal. I had already replaced the down-stream O2. The front one is too hard to get off. Already have a Delphi O2 for the upstream purchased. RockAuto has them at a really great price. WRANING ... Do NOT get the Bosch O2 for our vans, they are junk and will give the van crappy MPG. Plus, you will have to re-wire them to get the connector to work.

Old 08-12-2012, 11:03 PM
BilltheDrummer94
Rookie

There should be a sticky thread with things like this in it. Just tricks like the odometer P-code readout or the panel check by holding the reset and turning the key. Any other tricks you can let us in on? Please?

Old 01-22-2013, 08:04 PM
motobecane1

Yeah stev I heard about the bosch O2's. Not impressed on GM apps I've seen them on either. I pretty much understand that the regular Dodge trucks would be much "smarter" computer wise than the vans and would be more on par with other makes.

Old 01-23-2013, 07:38 AM
funair02
All Star

[storytime]
Not too long ago, I had an Corvette. I got p0138 also, but what was perplexing was the O2s were not that old...
So I took it to a friends shop. He was a good welder, so he dismantled the exhaust system. We found my cat had begun to clog and a piece of it was lodged infront of the rear o2.
[/end of storytime]

Quick Reply: Bad computer! Bad! Bad!