Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Cooling system

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 03:34 PM
Hawkstr
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Cooling system

I know this has been covered before, but I am doing a motor refresh on mine and was looking to upgrade a few things while I have it all tore down.

1997 Dodge B2500 5.2l auto w/ OD
Mark III conversion sport top

Things to do:
Fix vacuum leak issues (mainly broken plastic crap lines at the fire wall to cab junction)
Clean up all the rust from neglect under hood
Find water leak from hood or cowl area into engine bay area
make list of interior stuff to change out and upgrade

What I am looking for info on to do is:
Radiator (know of the 2 core upgrade but need interchange options cause would like a 3 core)
Looking over the Electric Fan conversion (this is a must for MPG gains)

Advice on any other upgrades or conversions while I have it down would be helpful. Up side is I am able to do the work myself over paying a stealership or back stabbing repair shop. Because a top end rebuild and/or motor refresh would run a pretty penny at either of those and no way to tell if they really do the work or just charge you for making it look pretty.

I do know that the valve covers are not going to get mended, its time to replace them. Wounder if my MT's would look good on this (was saving them for my 74 W200)?

Reason for the refresh is that it was over heating and while I was looking stuff over I can see that the head gaskets are way in need of replacement. Fun joys of getting a used vehicle with unknown history.

Thanks in advance,
Mark in MN

Old 08-10-2012, 04:29 PM
blackvan
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I searched when I replaced my radiator but was unable to find a 3 core.

Apparently plain old mopar 318 valve covers won't fit a 5.2L Magnum engine. Summit lists a couple versions of "Mopar performance" valve covers for this motor and they are all $200+ for the pair. I would imagine you could get a decent set from a salvage yard for less.

There are several good electric fan upgrade threads in this forum if you search. This one's mine.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-r...onversion.html

Old 08-11-2012, 11:22 PM
DoubleWasp
Rookie

The 3 core was recently discontinued. I wouldn't worry about it though. I live in South Florida, and the 2-core all-aluminum keeps mine at 190 on the nose, no matter how hot or what the load.

Old 08-14-2012, 06:58 AM
Hawkstr
Rookie

Originally Posted by DoubleWasp
The 3 core was recently discontinued. I wouldn't worry about it though. I live in South Florida, and the 2-core all-aluminum keeps mine at 190 on the nose, no matter how hot or what the load.
Sad to see, a 3 or 4 core would had been a nice upgrade to go with the Dual Electric fan I am looking at putting in. Also adding a Trans cooler, Oil cooler, coolant filter, and maybe a power steering cooler. Figure might as well go all out as long as I have it all apart.

Seems most of the other upgrade and other options are listed under Ram Trucks or newer dodge cars with the 5.2 and 5.9 motors. Would be nice if there was more here for us Van owners

Quick Reply: Cooling system