Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

3500 ram van mpg questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 01:25 PM
Bandit2
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi iodj
That sounds like some of my adventures when I was younger ,
Driving to the Ny Border ( 18 drinking age ) and back on a Fri. Nite ASAP .
When I was in the Coast Guard and stationed in New London , we use to go from Wellesley to Groton in an hour ( 1.0 ) in My buddies 65 Chevelle W/ 427, 425 HP from Scuncio Chevrolet in Ri. , ( that was Before I-95 was finished and open ).
Just before I got out of the USCG , I bought a 68 Hemi Road Runner from Fred F Cains , to race him , that was a awesome car , but $$$$ to own and drive .
My best run in that was from Wellesley to Auburn , Me. in about 1 Hr. 20 min.
The Trooper I passed never followed Me , but did ask Me at Dennies in Auburn if it was stock ? No ( LOL )

I guess you are really into sailing ? I have only been on the one's that were taking on water ( LOL )
I Spent my 4 yrs in the Coast Guard on Long Island Sound in Search and Rescue and lived on Fishers Island , Ny. , then ended up serving as the Officer in Charge of the Plum Island Light Station .
I was also into boats , I bought one of the display boat's at the Boston Boat Show , a 70 Checkmate W/1969 150 Hp Merc.
Bob
Ps last week We were driving by a church advertising a rummage sale at 6:30 , it was 4:00 , , She wanted to wait , OK , I want a coke , snack , and a paper to read .
She walks to the corner store , buys snacks , a Herald @ $ 2.00 and a scratch ticket , and wins $ 500 .

Old 04-13-2013, 03:07 PM
iodj44
Veteran

You owned a HEMI ROADRUNNER!!!! man those and GTXs are worth some
dough now. We have a 1973 Dart Swinger completely stock found it in LA 12 years ago. Sounds like your a fellow Mopar man.

Was forced to learn sailing when I was 11 (day camp) then caught the bug.
Knock on wood in 30+ years on the water never required CC assistance
but glad to know their there.

Regarding the van your plans sound good and the mpg is much better than
anything we get.

Old 04-14-2013, 09:26 AM
Bandit2
Amateur

I lost the Road Runner along with 3 426 stage 2 & 3 Wedge Motors , an all wheel drive IH 6 wheel drive plow/dump truck , plus a house , and 8 house lots in a divorce in 1973 .
( just before the No-Fault Divorce Kicked In ) I did get it back in 1976 when she totaled the front end and had i dropped off in my parking space in the complex I was living in ( with a 383 wedge , not the hemi. ??? ) .
I sold it in 1978 for $ 100 and cry everytime I think about it .
When I went in the service in 1965 , I sold a 1966 Chev 2 dr Bel-Aire with a 421 pontiac to a friend for $ 100 , and still haven't been paid .

Something else Regarding the van ,
The wife reminded Me that We put in Synthetic rear end oil with a mopar additive , and checked it for leaks often as I had just changed the pinion seal , and the housing was all ways just warm .
Also , That We only had One Bench seat , and a full size air mattress and sleeping bags a cooler and a bin of food with us , and toped off at 1/2 a tank while adding some Lucas every 3 tanks .
Bob

Old 04-14-2013, 05:12 PM
iodj44
Veteran

Never felt the pumpkin right after running but I bet warms is normal, we have changed rear fluid and used Mopar non synthetic. other than rear wheel bearings and brakes can't think of any work we have done on the rear axle.

All our vans have had rear end noise but have never had any mechanical issues that impaired use.
Have read about many people on the this site swap used rears and the replacement is noisier.

Last edited by iodj44; 04-14-2013 at 05:21 PM.

Quick Reply: 3500 ram van mpg questions