Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

1996 B3500 Maxi HD - REAR A/C Problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 05:28 PM
autigersfanjc
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 B3500 Maxi HD - REAR A/C Problem

Hello,

I just purchased this van from a church and everything is fine with the main a/c up front, blows strong and cold - but it's the rear a/c where i'm having issues. Seems as only a few of the ports/vents blows air out and the ones that do is blowing warm air.

I was wondering if anyone could help me with this? The guy i bought it from did say the rear a/c had a small leak, so i'm not sure if this is the underlying issue or not.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Old 04-11-2013, 11:20 AM
jpkinnin

Check to make sure the rear heater control valve is closing all the way. That's the handle that you pull up or push down to turn the heat on or off. It's right at the rear unit inside the van. The front and rear a/c are all on the same system, ie, compressor, hoses, etc. There is a separate drier, and expansion valve at the rear unit. You'll have to crawl under the van, right in front of the left rear tire, and pull the bottom cover off the rear unit to access these, and the heater control valve. Wouldn't hurt to take a look to see what's going on. The heater control valve was bad on mine, and I replaced it with a ball valve, since I was unable to find a replacement. You just have to reach under the van to turn the heat on and off. Not as bad as it sounds. Went ahead and replaced the heater hoses, while I was at it. Hope this helps.

Old 04-11-2013, 01:27 PM
autigersfanjc

Hey! Thanks for the help. I really have no clue what i'm looking for. But i did fail to mention that all the air vents do work and blows cold but only on the drivers side. There is nothing coming out on the passenger side vents. So what could the problem be?

Thanks alot!

Old 04-12-2013, 07:59 AM
jpkinnin

Mine doesn't have vents on the passenger side. You are talking about the part of the van behind the front seats, right? If you are, and you do, in fact, have vents on the passenger side, there would have to be some kind of tubing/conduit, to transfer the air to the passenger side. I'm not sure where to look for that, but it's either running up through the headliner, or underneath the van. If you're talking about the dash vents, it'll be the same thing, a tube/conduit running to the right side vent, from the center of the dash. You might be able to see that if you look under the right side of the dash. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Old 04-12-2013, 11:50 AM
autigersfanjc

Hi,

Yes it's the rear passenger vents behind the front passenger seat. The round vents. Drivers side rear vents work just fine. I just have no air coming from the passenger side rear.

Thanks

Quick Reply: 1996 B3500 Maxi HD - REAR A/C Problem