Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Dodge 03 VAN 3.9L oil pressure problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 11:25 PM
KennethStevens
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dodge 03 VAN 3.9L oil pressure problem

2003 B1500 Van with 3.9L V6
Oil indicator is a gauge....not a lamp
Oil sender has only one wire going to it. Oil sender next to distributor.

When engine starts oil pressure gauge goes to 40P.S.I. for a few seconds and then drops to zero. Then "check gauges" lights up.

Hooked up mechanical gauge and oil pressure steady at 60 to 70 P.S.I. at all RPM ranges (cheap gauge). Through an 1/4 hose hooked at oil sender I pumped about a liter of oil in 15 seconds. So pretty sure oil pump O.K.

Replaced oil sender with dealer item 5149097AA...symptoms remained same.
Measured new sender unit to ground with meter, 0 ohms with no pressure (engine off) as soon as engine starts, sender goes to infinity (open). I believe this sender is for an oil pressure light, not a gauge. Turns light off when pressure come up.

I believe I simply have the wrong sender unit, but cannot find a single wire unit that is meant for a gauge (Meter). Dealer no help!

Anybody got any ideas???

Old 05-29-2013, 12:18 AM
Mobile Auto Repair
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The fault is either the dash gauge or the wiring from it to the sensor. I don't believe the 98-03 has a oil pressure light like the 97 and earlier do that is built into the gauge.

It could be a problem with the gauge, wiring between it and the sensor, and/or BCM. I don't know for sure but someone has pointed out in the past that the BCM is built into the PCM on that series of vans.

Old 05-29-2013, 12:33 AM
blackvan
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Last edited by blackvan; 07-31-2016 at 03:24 AM. Reason: removed by me
Old 05-31-2013, 11:07 AM
KennethStevens
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the help...this has everybody befuddled... The 56031005AB sender seems like the right idea, but I cannot get a clear picture of it on-line and the places that stock it say it has two terminals, I have only one wire going to sender, how can that work?? I bought this used with the problem existent, got a great price because of oil pressure problem, but did not think it would be this tough to solve. Maybe the dashboard display or the engine or the Control module was changed before I got it.
Shop manuals are coming, I will be able to troubleshoot it better then. Tempted to just buy a $21.00 Digital display gauge off E-Bay...but the check gauges light will always be on !!! I do not give up easily, so stay tuned and I will give further updates. Ken

Quick Reply: Dodge 03 VAN 3.9L oil pressure problem