Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Doing the oil pump this afternoon

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2013 | 10:23 AM
funair02
|
All Star
Default Doing the oil pump this afternoon

Hi all..

After screwing around with my lifter ticks and other noises, I have come to the conclusion that my screen and pump probably are gummed up.
First, looking at the new pump, the pumps flow tube diameter is not much larger than my index finger. It really looks like it can get sludged easily. Also I can see what 15-20w oil would not work well. It really is a small pump.
My motor has been much much quieter on 5w oil. But, sometimes and only when there is a significant load on the motor will I start to get lifter taps.
I also think that since Ive pulled the heads twice and the intake twice, all on separate occasions, that I probably moved sludge into the screen and pump.
I also lately have been getting some weird oil readings. Not all the time, but a couple of times it has been really high and then sometimes a little low...

The job looks pretty easy. I think I can do it in an afternoon. Im going to tackle it today.

Old 06-07-2013 | 05:32 PM
funair02
|
All Star

well well well...

I am not droppin' the tranny. Sooo off to the shop it goes...

While it is there, I am going to get the timing chain done with the 2 degrees of advance. Also all the hoses and waterpump...

It really should run good when done

Old 06-07-2013 | 06:17 PM
landyacht318
Record Breaker

I thought the engine just needed to be jacked up a little bit to get the oil pan to clear the cross member.

Still not a job I'd want to do

Old 06-07-2013 | 07:20 PM
blackvan
All Star

Last edited by blackvan; 07-31-2016 at 03:24 AM. Reason: removed by me
Old 06-08-2013 | 12:49 PM
iodj44
Veteran

Drop the Tranny?????? I replaced three oil pan gaskets over the years and have
unbolted the drivers side engine mount then carefully jacked that side up a few inches. You only need a few inches of clearance and a little patience and you can wiggle the pan out.

Old 06-13-2013 | 08:49 PM
funair02
|
All Star

UPDATE---

I did end up going to my friends shop and had him do the oil pump, timing chain and water pump.

First the two degrees of advance does help a little off the line. Along with the 1.7 RR I see better power from idle to about 3500 RPM. Also the van isn't as much as a dog with the AC on now.

The water pump is smooth and quiet. I did use a brand new one.

Now for the oil pump - yes there must have been a problem. About half the time I would have a lifter tap for about 5 second after a start up. That has been eliminated and now I hear no other weird taps of clacks.

Two things to note. My screen was a little clogged. About 20% was restricted, but that seems to be enough to cause clicking. Also the idle is much much smoother now.

The van is running almost like new. Good times...

Quick Reply: Doing the oil pump this afternoon