Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

A/C flow diverts on increasing speed

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 11:00 PM
joemitchell53
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C flow diverts on increasing speed

i have a 99 B1500 Conversion Van with the 5.2ltr and when i accelerate the air flow diverts from the dash vents (sounds like it's going to the defrost vents but i can't feel any flow there). it's clearly a vacuum related problem, but don't have any idea where to look for a leak. like most recent stuff there's so many hoses and lines it looks like a couple of "hoovers" have climbed into the engine well and had little uns.
any tips (especially with pics) would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by joemitchell53; 08-30-2013 at 11:02 AM.
Old 08-30-2013, 10:47 AM
joemitchell53
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default found the problem!

after checking top to bottom i found the culprit. elbow connection going into the top of the vacuum reservior was cracked. i replaced it and the air flow is back where it should be, also fixed the cruise control at the same time (i never realized that it was also a vacuum related problem). here are some photos in case someone else is having these problems and want to check this spot.

Attached Thumbnails A/C flow diverts on increasing speed-img_8075.jpg   A/C flow diverts on increasing speed-img_8076.jpg   A/C flow diverts on increasing speed-vacuum-reserviior-pic-2.jpg  

Last edited by joemitchell53; 08-30-2013 at 11:03 AM. Reason: fixed problem
Old 09-23-2013, 02:12 PM
siggie30
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hope this is helpful as well, but I already knew there was an issue with these vacuum lines, so after I found mine had "unplugged" itself from the tank, I also found the hard plastic line had started chipping/cracking away at one of the bends (after testing the line after the aforementioned tank). Of course a proper replacement cannot be readily found, but I used a rubber vacuum hose piece to "extend" the area that was cracking. Works fine. Glad you resolved it.

Quick Reply: A/C flow diverts on increasing speed