Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

1993 B250 Van - will not start

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 03:07 AM
LA_Mike
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 1993 B250 Van - will not start

Hi

The engine turns over but will not start anymore. When I spray starter fluid into the intake it will start right away and run for a few seconds.
I suspected Fuel Pump (gas level sensor was broke for years anyway) and replaced the whole fuel pump assembly and fuel filter, but it showed the exact same symptoms.
I replaced the two relays on the bracket under the brake master cylinder which I think are Fuel pump relay and ASR. No difference.
I am lost now - apparently there is no power reaching the fuel pump.
Is there any other relay or fuse somewhere that could cause this?
I cannot measure the connector at the fuel pump as it is on top of the tank - not accessible. I saw an electric connector under the car near the fuel filter - could I measure Voltages there - what would I look for - cable colors?
I would appreciate any help.

Mike

Old 08-29-2013, 03:29 AM
landyacht318
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Remove the connectors on the relays.

Use a jumper wire with insulation stripped off between the 2 fatter wires on the connector itself.

See if the fuel pump runs.

If so the relays are not being triggered.

Don't know if they still used fusible links on a '93 but at 20 years old they blow and don't look blown or stretch out as designed.

Don;t know what colors they would be or if you even have them.

Old 08-30-2013, 04:02 AM
LA_Mike
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Still won't get power to the fuel pump

Thank you for your suggestion. It made sense to me to jumper the relays, but it still will not apply power to the pump.
Did I jumper it right - I connected the incoming power pin 30 to pin 87 - which should be the output. I did this to both relays Fuel pump and ASR.
When turning on the ignition everything looks normal still no noise from the fuel pump and it doesn't start.
I opened the connector next to the fuel filter at the right frame rail because this seems the only power line that goes to the back of the van.
I was not able to find power on any of the pins. Unfortunately I do not remember which color wires the connector of the fuel pump on top of the tank had. Otherwise I would feed 12 V into the opened connector next to the fuel filter to bypass most wiring in between the fuel pump relay and the fuel pump. this is driving me nuts ...
if anybody has any ideas or knows what color wire to look for in the feed of the fuel pump for a 1993 B250 - please step forward. The electric diagrams in the Haynes manual are lousy and I am not sure if they even represent my car - it covers 30 years of van history.

Mike

Old 08-30-2013, 12:28 PM
landyacht318
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I remember a green wire being the hot FP wire on my '89.
I'l suspecting you will be dropping the tank again.

My FP wiring ran under the drivers seat, up the B pillar, along the roof line across the back down through the floor forward under the tank back across then up into the tank.

I suspected it was faulty somewhere along the roofline and rerouted it, but it turned out to be a failing engine computer. But completely different symptoms than you so don't jump there.

Pin 30 is the source, pin 87 is the output, 85 and 86 are the trigger. I believe it is the ground which is switched via the computer

Quick Reply: 1993 B250 Van - will not start