Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Replace Fuel Pump/Water Pump

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 02:01 PM
vstreano
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replace Fuel Pump/Water Pump

I have a 1999 3500 conversion camper van with the 5.9L engine. I bought it with 72,000 miles, and it is nearing 100,000 miles. It runs great. However we are thinking of taking a trip to Baja, CA with it, and I'm wondering if I should replace the fuel pump and or water pump before we leave. I've read that both of these have a life expectancy of around 100,000 miles. Would hate to have one of these fail somewhere in the Baja desert.

Old 10-07-2013, 05:48 PM
funair02
All Star

if you have the $$$ and like the van - I say do it.

Also while you are doing the waterpump, get a Cloyles timing set and advance your timing 2 degrees

Old 10-07-2013, 11:18 PM
vstreano
Question

Originally Posted by funair02
if you have the $$$ and like the van - I say do it.

Also while you are doing the waterpump, get a Cloyles timing set and advance your timing 2 degrees
Not to be too stupid, but what will the Cloyles timing set and advancing my timing 2 degrees do for my van. Will it run stronger or get better mileage?

Old 10-08-2013, 09:44 AM
rsdata
Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Replace the two front brake hoses if you have not already done so. Both rubber brake hoses have a tendency to collapse internally causing the front disk brakes to not be able to retract and cause then to rub on the disk brakes continually, cutting down on gas mileage. Also pump the old brake fluid out of the lines while adding new fluid and completely replace the old fluid in the lines.

Also check out the suggestions in Stev's MPG improvement post
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-r...rovements.html

I have an '01 B2500 that I bought with 130K miles 3 years ago. I now have 170K miles three years after buying the van, and I just got done replacing plugs and wires. It appeared the originals were still in the engine. I did replace the cap and rotor with brass shortly after getting the van. I also cleaned the IAC per this post...
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-r...n-the-iac.html

I always take my van on long journeys and I hope I never have a serious problem while on the road either.

have fun in the Baja

Quick Reply: Replace Fuel Pump/Water Pump