Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

2000 Ram Van 1500 won't start -

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2013, 05:39 PM
penzt8
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Ram Van 1500 won't start -

The van is a V-6 conversion van. When I put the key in the ignition and turn it, strange things happen. I tried jumping but was not successful. When I put the key in and turn it to the accessory position, I hear a clicking sound from the dashboard area. The odometer and clock both flash in rhythm with the clicking. When i turn the key fully to start, nothing else happens but the clicking continues. When I remove the key, the clicking still continues for about 15 seconds. I disconnected and reconnected the battery hoping that whatever electrical demon there is would reset. no luck. I cycled the key a few times and got a p-done code in the odometer. so no codes. any suggestions?

Old 11-18-2013, 03:56 PM
kegunder

I have very little experience w/ these vans as I've had mine for only 6 months. But, I had some starting issues this fall, and it turned out to be the ECM (computer.) Try to connect a OBD code reader, if that can't connect the ECM can be the main culprit... assuming you've checked your battery, wiring and grounds.

Old 11-22-2013, 05:20 PM
penzt8
Default Problem solved

I removed the battery and had it checked at auto zone. It was bad so I bought a new one. I put it in and the van still wouldn't start. So I did some more searching and reading. I found a thread that recommended resetting the computer. So, with the battery disconnected, I turned the ignition switch to start and held it there for about a minute. I reconnected the battery and she cranked up first try. Ain't the internet wonderful. At best it saved me a tow job and at worst, some auto shop might have nailed me for unnecessary replacement of a PCM or other component to fix my problem.

Quick Reply: 2000 Ram Van 1500 won't start -