Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Differential gear oil replacment

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 11:39 PM
stev
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tommy555
I've heard of someone using gear oil on brake caliper sliders, is this a good idea or not? I was going to do some brake maintenance and would rather not buy any lube if I already have something laying around that could be used.
You are talking about the area that the pads sit on the calipers correct? Anti-Sieze works just fine there. The oil will not last long enough.

All I do is wire brush those slides and place back on the stainless slide guides back on for the pads to glide on. The older Ram Vans didn't have the stainless guides.

Old 12-06-2013, 11:36 AM
Tommy555
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was talking about the slides that the caliper rides on while clamping and unclamping. I wasn't sure if this was a good application for my extra gear oil. I haven't done my brake work yet and wanted some advice on if I should bother with the gear oil (since I have it already) or if I should buy some silicone paste or something similar.

Old 12-06-2013, 12:37 PM
blackvan
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The gear oil is only 90 weight so its relatively thin. What will happen is the when the caliper heats up during braking that gear oil is going to liquify and run down and probably contaminate your brake pads.

I suggest using the smallest amount possible of white lithium grease, high temp wheel bearing (moly) grease (or anti-seize if you like that better) and only just on the that edge that slides.

As to the extra gear oil, well you never know when you'll need something until you suddenly do. Keeping a few basic supplies on hand is never a bad idea. At some point, usually around 3am in my case, you'll be glad you did

Quick Reply: Differential gear oil replacment