Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

99 Ram Van Transmission issues. Locks in 3rd

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2013, 07:42 PM
SeanS
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 Ram Van Transmission issues. Locks in 3rd

Greetings!
I have a 1999 Dodge Ram Van 3500 with overdrive. I am having tranny problems. The tranny locks in 3rd gear and will not down shift or up shift. This doesn't happen all the time though. Sometimes it last for a day or two and then it goes back to normal for a few days. In the beginning when this started I could turn off the key and then restart and that fixed the issue. this no longer works. Also, in the beginning there was a lot of vibration. I added a Lucas oil product and that eliminated the vibration and stopped the sticking for a little while. The vibration has not come back but the transmission locks in 3rd. Any ideas?
Thank you!

Old 12-07-2013, 09:06 AM
rsdata
Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

what is the mileage and service history of this tranny? are you getting any CEL codes? I just replaced my '01 B2500 tranny with 165,000 miles in it, as it was nearly worn out and throwing a code all the time. I had a rebuilt Jasper unit put in for about $2500 with a 100K warranty... I have put 5K on the new tranny and am very happy with it

Quick Reply: 99 Ram Van Transmission issues. Locks in 3rd