Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

5.9 B250 issues, CEL code 37

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 05:33 PM
jasonpremo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.9 B250 issues, CEL code 37

Hello everyone, First post here. I posted this up on another Dodge forum but thought I'd try here as well.

I picked up a 1991 B250 w/5.9 last week off Craigslist. It had a few issues I knew of getting into it, but it was relatively clean and already had a camper conversion I wanted for hauling my Jeep out to the desert/mountains. It has approx 180K miles (odo went out a yr ago I guess), motor seems to run good, good compression etc. Trans feels solid. Anyhow, I did a major tune up on it as I really didnt know the history of the vehicle.

Replaced the following:
TPS (was out of range)
IAC (sticking, floppy)
cap, rotor, coil, plugs & plug wires
air filter
PCV
valve cover gasket
Air filter gasket
The usual stuff,etc.

Here are the issues I'm still having:
Throttle sticks (IAC keeps it open)
intermittenty won't start in park
Hard shifts on acceleration, feels like tq converter is locked up
Hesitation/intermittent back fire thru throttle body upon WOT at lower RPM

Both injectors working fine. I haven't checked my fuel rail pressure but will do that this week. I was driving it earlier and the CEL light came on. I pulled the codes in the parking lot (key on off, on 3x's) and got the following:

12, 41, 37, 24, 23, 55.

I'll write off the TPS to the old one being faulty and I haven't cleared the codes since, I'll check my alternator, etc. What caught my eye was code 37. I did some reading thru this forum and a few others and found that particular code seems to cause most, if not all of the issues I'm currently having right now. Any ideas on where to go from here? If I understand correctly there's possibly a solonoid by the kick down linkage on the front of the trans with 3 wires going to it? How do i test this solonoid? Also, where is the relay for it?

On a side note, the air filter might have been from the factory in 1991. YIKES!! Plugs all looks to be in good order, clean burn. The van idles fine when started, usually fires up on the first try, every now and then it stutters.

Code 41: where is this ASD relay at? If anyone has a wiring diagram for that it would be helpful. I've searched but am coming up dry.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks

wow, right!?! lol

That's her. I've since scraped off the logo on the windshield

Other vehicles here. The van purchase is to tow this guy out to the desert/mountains and camping. Looking forward to that once i have the transmission thing sorted out

Also have a Pontiac G8 in the line up. AKA Holden Commador.

Attached Thumbnails 5.9 B250 issues, CEL code 37-imag6443_zpsbmp0ddk3.jpg  

Last edited by jasonpremo; 05-22-2014 at 05:46 PM.
Old 05-22-2014, 05:47 PM
jasonpremo

***update***

I hooked up my OBD1/2 scanner to it this morning and cleared the faults then drove around town for a good while. Checked again and i still have 12 and 37. I'm not really too sure where to start on this code 37. Appreciate any help that i can get.

Thanks guys

Old 05-22-2014, 10:45 PM
T-Ram
Rookie

Nice work on the Cherokee--is that my silver bullet??

Old 05-23-2014, 09:48 AM
jasonpremo

Thanks. She's an absolute beast on the trail. Geared, locked, long armed, internal bead locks, hydro steering etc. I love winching my friends out in their Wranglers after they give me grief on driving a station wagon haha it's all good fun. And I love me some rocky mountain delight. MURICA! Lol

Another update on the van. I checked the solenoid wiring yesterday while I was doing an alignment and found the 3 pin connector to be secure but coated and filled with grease and trans fluid. I sprayd it down with some degreaser contact cleaner and packed with dielectric grease. I'll plug in the code scanner and clear the fault before I venture off into the world today.

Does anyone here know how to diagnose those thing as being faulty?

Quick Reply: 5.9 B250 issues, CEL code 37