Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Did my fuel pump today

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2015 | 05:04 AM
a1mfw
Rookie

What brand fuel pump did you go with? Didn't see it in post.

Old 04-05-2015 | 09:11 AM
rsdata
Captain

'01 5.2 3500 35 gal tank... long and narrow fuel tank on drivers side about mid-body...

looking at Rockauto I see one Airtex on closeout special $128 and a number of other (standard not economy) for as high as $162. Spectra, Delphi, Denso, Carter and Bosch are the brands.

With 182K on my van I think it might e time to do this before it fails me on the road.

Can anyone recommend the brand to use? Rockauto favorite is the Airtex but they only have one in stock with a 30 day warranty.

Old 04-05-2015 | 12:27 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator

Originally Posted by landyacht318
I had to replace my fuel pump just off the side of the road In Baja at a farmer's casa who helped me.
It's nice to know those kind of people still exist around the world.

Old 04-07-2015 | 07:14 AM
daguvena88
Professional

Originally Posted by rsdata
Can anyone recommend the brand to use? Rockauto favorite is the Airtex but they only have one in stock with a 30 day warranty.
I've read many posts suggesting Bosch or Delphi and avoid Airtex.

Old 04-07-2015 | 12:32 PM
2 Dodge Vans
Amateur

Originally Posted by rsdata
With 185K miles on my '01 5.2 3500 extended Ram van, I am wondering if this should be done as a preventive measure? I typically only drive my van long distances, just getting back from over-wintering in FL while pulling my 20 foot TT.

Knock on wood, it is running great after just putting 3900 miles on it since January. Previous owner used it every day in his work and kept it in the garage. I've owned this van since it had 130K on it. I've replaced the tranny, the rad, brakes and hoses, drained and refilled all fluids, new wires, plugs, belts and hoses, O2 and a few engine sensors. I have cleaned electrical grounds and used Deoxit on many connectors. I added air bags to the rear to hold my 500# tongue weight, which has worked well on this extended van.

I am a proponent of "if it's not broke, don't fix it"... but I hate the thought of being broke down out of town pulling a TT. I typically travel with a full tank of gas, and rarely leave the van sit with less than a half tank.

So, what does everyone think about replacing my fuel pump... or should it last another few years?
Everyone and their brother told me AIRTEX brand is junk, but mine been on my minivan 3 or 4 years and traveled many miles, so maybe I got lucky.

Old 04-12-2015 | 03:52 PM
funair02
|
All Star

Originally Posted by daguvena88
I've read many posts suggesting Bosch or Delphi and avoid Airtex.
Those are good...

I am trying a ReTech one. Its a rebuild. Interestingly, the fuel gage on this one is perfect. 1/2 is 1/2...etc. You also could just replace the pump. Ebay sellers have them. They range from 15-30 bucks. If you have the time, it doesn't look to be too hard to do.

Maybe it will be a good one??? Only time will tell. It is really hard to tell these days as most all manufacturing of things like this is in China. Some are good, some are bad, and most use the same parts no matter if it is 200 bucks or 20 bucks...This a kind of the reason it went rebuilt - at least it is tested :lol:
It is a weird time we live in when it comes to replacement automotive parts.

Last edited by funair02; 04-12-2015 at 03:55 PM.
Old 06-21-2015 | 09:34 AM
drober05

I used to have a Chevy SUV and on the Chevy forum someone posted detailed plans to cut a hole in the floorboard under the rear seats to access the fuel pump for an easy change. The plans included making a hatch cover for the hole. Any possibility of doing something like this for these Ram Vans?

Old 06-21-2015 | 05:11 PM
nibroc
Captain

put an airtex on my 92 B250 319 w/200k on it a cpl. yrs ago w/no problem---have made several trips out west (wy) and gonna go again 30 june----damn I'm getting scared

Old 06-22-2015 | 12:57 AM
blackvan
All Star

I wouldn't worry. Airtex/wells makes general replacement fuel pumps for many applications. The three I installed all came with sleeves and adapters to make them fit that particular vehicle. Although I've heard a lot of whining about Airtex all three of the Airtex fuel pumps I have installed are all still working fine, including the first one in my '88 Crown Vic back in 2008. 60,000 miles, no issues.

In general, people who experience multiple fuel pump failures are those who fail to correctly flush/clean the fuel tank.

Last edited by blackvan; 06-22-2015 at 12:59 AM.
Old 06-23-2015 | 10:43 AM
funair02
|
All Star

Originally Posted by drober05
I used to have a Chevy SUV and on the Chevy forum someone posted detailed plans to cut a hole in the floorboard under the rear seats to access the fuel pump for an easy change. The plans included making a hatch cover for the hole. Any possibility of doing something like this for these Ram Vans?

Some here have done the door thing...but after doing my own, I don't see why you need to do that.

There are 4 hoses, 1 electrical connection and two nuts...then the whole thing comes down. I did mine without even jacking the van.

Quick Reply: Did my fuel pump today