Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

02 Ram Van, Strange transmission issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2015, 06:35 PM
apweng
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 02 Ram Van, Strange transmission issue

Ok, so this is the info on the van itself : 2002 Dodge or Ram Truck RAM 3500 Van V8-5.9L VIN Z LDC

The church I attend has this van and has asked me to look at it after several others have given up on solving this issue. A couple months ago, the original ECM failed and was replaced with a REMAN(not my choice!). Immediately following the installation of the replacement ECM this van started having downshift issues. The van operates perfectly during upshift to fourth gear. When stopping at a stop sign, the van does not properly downshift and when accelerating from a stop, it is still in third gear. If the van is shutoff and restarted, it will take off in first gear.

It had codes for the governor solenoid and it had failed and was replaced as well as the TCC/OD solenoid while I was in there. Replaced fluid with the correct stuff and drove it. Still same issue with the down shift.

I found another code for the trans relay 12v circuit and found that the replacement ECM was not controlling the relay circuit like it should and I proved it with a jumper wire. The church sent the ECM back and had another one sent and the van still does the same thing. I suspect they sent the ECM back without any repairs being made. All of this trouble started after the original ECM had been replaced which leads me towards the reman ECMs being the issue. Is there anything else I can check or that I may have missed?

Thanks in advance for any advice or info.

AP

Old 08-02-2015, 01:40 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Tell them it's faulty and to give you a good one or to take return of the ECM for a refund and then buy one elsewhere.

Quick Reply: 02 Ram Van, Strange transmission issue