Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Slow in cranking over as tho battery is going but

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2015, 07:02 PM
andthatsalrightwithme
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slow in cranking over as tho battery is going but

My 2001 5.2L, 8 cyl, 318 is being a cranky ?&$>>@) just since the water pump went out.
Here sitting in my driveway this scenario is encountered:
I get home with radiator thisclose to blowing her top but shut it down just in time. While waiting for my helper to get time to come help, I go out to make a very quick and close trip to the store and to have it sound as tho the battery is dead when I turn the key. So I press the accelerator and it will start and stay on only with my foot on it.
A day or two later and it starts like always before and stays running but I go nowhere. Then we get the water pump and thermostat changed out and it starts right up, no problem. Before my helper leaves, I try it over and over like 5 times no fail.
2-3 days pass and I go to run an errand in my "new improved" girl and she won't start like before. With van on and running, battery level is at half so it isn't that. A friend of my helper had pulled the idle something or other from in front of the carb and cleaned it up pre water pump change so I bought a new one and put it in last night Yay! Van starts right up and I am thinking all is well.
Then I go to run my son somewhere today and guess what.....
Need some suggestions please???
Getting rid of it is not an option.

Old 08-06-2015, 07:28 PM
andthatsalrightwithme
Rookie

Nearly 3 hours after and it starts and stays on sans foot. 30 minutes later......aint gonna.....

Old 08-06-2015, 07:49 PM
a1mfw
Rookie

I am assuming you disconnected the alternator to get to the thermostat. Would go back and recheck the connections.

Sound's like the part you replaced was the Idle Air Control that connects to the throttle body. While you had it out did you clean the area where it connect's into?

Could be a bad coil also or the ignition wire to it came loose while you were working in that area.

Old 08-06-2015, 11:02 PM
andthatsalrightwithme
Rookie

That would be good and fine except that it began the very last time I got home with it hotter than hell and got her turned off right before she blew steam and antifreeze all over. Never an issue prior.
Left sitting a couple of days and went to start it to try something with a T connector I had found with a chunk out of it and it was fine then I was going to start it before my dad arrived with a mechanic friend of his to find the start of this odd issue.
Once it will start, then it won't, then it starts five times in a row then it won't, etc.
Before and after undoing everything and changing the water pump, etc.
Idle air valve as for the part i changed that made no difference. Van even stays running when i unplug and remove it.
Now people are saying its because I use the cheapest gas (ethanol) yet it has caused no issues in a 99 DRV 1500 I had nor in my motorcycle.

Quick Reply: Slow in cranking over as tho battery is going but