Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

1990 b350 external voltage regulator to many volts?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2015, 08:25 PM
banstead
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1990 b350 external voltage regulator to many volts?

1990 b350 my charging system was not charging so i installed an external voltage regulator and now im getting 15-15.1 volts at the battery, was getting pretty much nothing. Is that to much for the system to handle?

Old 08-16-2015, 08:38 PM
landyacht318
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make sure the casing of the external regulator is well grounded and see if the voltage drops.

15.1v will easily overcharge a battery given enough time, and it might cause incandescent bulbs to wear out faster, but it will not hurt the Vans electrics.

Maintenance free flooded batteries actually are OK with these rather extreme charging voltages.

See if a better ground, or a different brand regulator drops voltage.

Also inspect and clean the field connections on the back of the alternator.

One can trick a regulator into allowing higher voltage pretty easily, but the opposite is not so easy to accomplish.

Also some digital voltmeters read high when their internal batteries are dying. did you verify that 15.1v with another tool?

Old 08-17-2015, 12:25 AM
banstead
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im now reading 14.4 volts at battery. i installed the external voltage regulator with two power points. i learned that you need to ditch the exsisting leads to the alternator all together and use ony the leads from the new regulator. i got mine aftermarket and it came with nothing to instruct me but i caught my mistake early to save it and hope to have this workhorse on the road another 10k. i could now do it in an hour ... it took me all day but bull riding was on so....

Quick Reply: 1990 b350 external voltage regulator to many volts?