Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

This is 3.9 or 5.2 engine?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2015, 10:21 PM
Ro$$
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This is 3.9 or 5.2 engine?

By papers i got 5.2L supposedly however it supposed to be v8 and i only see 3 exhaust manifold openings could it be 3.9 instead?

Does engine supposed to be take out trough the cabin or car needs to be lifted and it has to be dropped down?

Attached Thumbnails This is 3.9 or 5.2 engine?-1.jpg   This is 3.9 or 5.2 engine?-2.jpg  
Old 10-03-2015, 11:06 PM
SteveR
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Ross,
I am seeing 8 spots on the distributor. The centre cylinder exhaust ports probably dump into the same spots in the manifold.
Steve

Old 10-04-2015, 04:00 AM
sparkzz
Veteran

I see 4 spark plugs in the picture for that side.

Old 10-05-2015, 11:10 AM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Ro$$
By papers i got 5.2L supposedly however it supposed to be v8 and i only see 3 exhaust manifold openings could it be 3.9 instead?
There are 4, the center one is double wide.

Old 10-10-2015, 07:01 PM
oldgeeser

This is a 318 clearly. The 239 (3.0) replaced the old slant 6 and is a v6. It would not possibly have 8 plug wires. If you look closely in your picture, you will see that the center exhaust manifold is twice the size of the outside ports as it is a double and serves two cylinders. Also notice two spark plugs angled into this area.
Also assuming this is a van which it appears to be, you need to disassemble the front grill and such, remove the radiator and the A/C evaporator coil.
This will give enough room to use a engine hoist to pluck it out the front. One note, I welded a hook on top of the hoist neck for the engine chain and removed it when I returned it. It was a rental. The owner did not mind. I primed over the grinds. Otherwise you will not have room to lift the engine enough. I also removed the intake prior to engine removal.
The front assembly comes apart relatively easy and gives tremendous room.
Of course you will need to do a pump down and refill on the A/C when you replace it.
Here are some pics of the disassembled front and the 318ci (5.2L) on the hook with exhaust, notice how close the hoist arm is chained to the motor.
Hope this helps.

Last edited by oldgeeser; 10-10-2015 at 07:37 PM.
Old 10-11-2015, 10:46 AM
alloro
Dodge Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by oldgeeser
Here are some pics of the disassembled front and the 318ci (5.2L) on the hook with exhaust, notice how close the hoist arm is chained to the motor.
Hope this helps.
How long did it take you from start to having the motor out?

Old 10-11-2015, 05:46 PM
oldgeeser

I started around 10am and had it on the hook as shown about 4:30pm. By 8 it was broken down. But I had a 17 and 21 yr old helping. Although I think this slowed the process down as they were learning.

That don't look right:

Ain't there supposed to be sum-thin in that hole ?

Also had to tie the front up to clear the bumper:

Don't that look nice and shiney ?

Last edited by oldgeeser; 10-11-2015 at 06:02 PM.
Old 10-12-2015, 01:51 AM
Ro$$

Pieces in oil pan are whats left from the piston?

Old 10-12-2015, 10:17 AM
alloro
Dodge Forum Moderator

Anti-freeze and oil mixed sure make for a yucky mess, doesn't it!

Old 10-12-2015, 06:48 PM
oldgeeser

Ro$$, -
Yes the piston went to pieces, no dropped valve or anything. Apparently there is some manufacturing issue with the dodge pistons that develop cracks at some point. Eventually left alone it will detonate under fire, in this case, the piston head exploded and left the rod and pin clattering in the cylinder and this rapidly wore a groove in the cylinder liner since it happened on the highway at 70 miles an hour. Hence water in the oil or as they say chocolate milk.
Never a good sign to find chocolate milk in the engine or radiator. This always indicates cross contamination with the water (antifreeze) and oil. Usually cylinder, or block fracture from breaking (like this or thrown rod, dropped valve or wayward push rod) or freezing. Also can be caused from a failed head gasket or head fracture. Either way bad news.
If you look closely you will see the fragments of the piston oil ring among the piston fragments.

alloro -
That's an understatement.

I also lost a piston on my Grand Cherokee earlier in the year, here's whats left of my 6 cylinder # 2 piston that cratered without puncturing the block or cylinder liner. No chocolate milk, but check out the shrapnel ! Yee Haw that was fun...!

Ain't that pretty ?

Almost back on the road and purring like a kitten.

Last edited by oldgeeser; 10-12-2015 at 07:05 PM.

Quick Reply: This is 3.9 or 5.2 engine?