Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

ASD relay and Ignition coil issues 1990 B350 5.9L

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2015 | 12:22 PM
clarks_RAM
|
Default ASD relay and Ignition coil issues 1990 B350 5.9L

Learning a lot about this lately, but still have questions.
1990 B350 van 5.9L V-8
My ASD relay seemed bad as I was hard starting and sudden stalls. Finding one took some work because the database and/or products at aftermarket stores(NAPA, AutoZone, and others) is wrong or out of date on several points regarding this van.
POINT #1:
The ASD relay is listed as the "fuel pump relay" at NAPA. Not ASD relay.
Part Number: ECH AR611
Product Line: Echlin Ignition Parts
The part itself has the tab on the wrong side of the relay so it does not fit the plug on my van. AutoZone "ASD relay" Part Number: 19888 tab is reversed as well.
Another totally different part at NAPA
Part Number: ECH AR635
is a double "fuel pump relay" unlike the single one on my van.(actually for the 5.2L engine according to AutoZone)
One half of this double fits my van. Tab is correct.
So I had to buy the double and use the half that fit.
The other half is electrically the same but the tab is reversed.
So I saved it and cut off the tab slot so I can use it if ever necessary.
POINT # 2:
I needed a new ignition coil.
Both NAPA and Autozone list the required coil as one that requires an external resistor. (You don't see this detail until you buy the coil and find that printed on the coil itself).
NAPA Part Number: ECH IC27
AutoZone Part Number: C838
However, the factory shop manual (page 8D-8) says "The ignition coil is designed to operate without an external ignition resistor".
So if you believe the factory manual, the correct coil is:NAPA Part Number: ECH IC14
Product Line: Echlin Ignition Parts.
So here is my current question:
I am burning up coils. 2 to be exact. The +voltage at the coil is 13.8 when running. My understanding is that the purpose of the resistor(in conventional ignition systems) was to drop that +voltage to 12v after the van was running. But that the electronic ignition now took care of that so the resistor is no longer required.
So why am I burning up coils? Coincidence?
Why are the parts in conflict between suppliers and the factory manual?
Was there a retrofit long forgotten and not in the original manual.
Should I get a resistor and resistor compliant coil and retrofit myself?
Any thoughts on this?
thanks!

Old 12-04-2019 | 09:58 PM
Scottyvanlife

I'm in the same boat please help im going to the same problem I'm only getting 3.7 volts to the positive coil all these no start fuel &crank sensorsI wonder why I love Chevrolet so much .

Old 12-05-2019 | 11:05 AM
clarks_RAM
|

I have had no problems since my last post.
ASD and coil are doing fine.
But before I made those retrofit repairs, I connected a permanent dash mount volt meter to my coil so I could always monitor the voltage there.
I also installed a dash mounted switch that I could flip to apply 12v directly to the coil in case the voltmeter ever showed 0 volts when the ASD relay should be working.
It sounds like you need a new ASD relay.

Quick Reply: ASD relay and Ignition coil issues 1990 B350 5.9L