Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Changing the microwave

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2015, 09:58 PM
SteveR
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Changing the microwave

This isn't really a Dodge thread but there are a number of people with conversion vans on here so what the heck...

This van came with a microwave that was so weak it couldn't even pop popcorn.

Details:
1991 Dodge B250 Roadtrek Versatile
Original microwave: Panasonic NN-4458C, 500 Watt, 12 1/2" deep x 18" wide x 9" tall
New microwave: Danby DMW7700BLBD, 700 Watt, 0.7 cubic foot, 13" deep x 17.5" wide x 10" tall

I went with the Danby because it was cheap, had good reviews, and was about the right size. There were some others that fit the bill but they had external grab handles and I didn't want that.

It turns out the insides of these units are very close in size, I can put the old rectangular glass tray in the new microwave if I decide I do not want a turn table.

Modifications were minimal, I had to add a 3/4" thick piece of plywood to make up for the narrower unit and I had to lower the bottom supports to make up for the increased height. There happened to be some extra paneling behind the old unit that I cut out so I can cover up the edge of the plywood later. The receptacle is going to be changed in the future, code in Canada now calls for a GFCI 20-amp T-slot receptacle adjacent to the sink and I intend to go that route as I am also going to be powering it by an inverter and possibly a transfer switch.

Quick Reply: Changing the microwave