Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

removal and install of windshield

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2015, 07:03 PM
jimbo74
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default removal and install of windshield

Looking to replace my windshield. Have been quoted $205 out the door is the lowest I have found.

that said, I would like to try and do it cheaper.... should I try? I assume I would need a new molding? where could I get this? The online places I find say windshield weatherstripping, but don't show a picture, so I have no idea.

What about the glass? used from pick-n-pull? I assume I would have to cut it out myself? Will I need special adhesives? Is this something I should just leave to the pros?

Last edited by jimbo74; 12-07-2015 at 07:05 PM.
Old 12-07-2015, 07:58 PM
JFloors
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Personally I'd leave that to the pros. it's fun on certain items... doing it yourself if you've got the time to shop cheaper for all the proper stuff, but for $205. complete, ain't too bad n he's got the tools, adhesive and the moulding and will likely be done in an hour, would take me the better part of the day plus time gathering what is needed .
My son inlaw did mine a few months ago, knew what he was doing since he had been working for an auto glass shop "Big Ray's" here in town for a couple 3 years. His boss Ray gave him the windshield for me at cost which was really nice plus the trim and adhesive to do it, still cost to me was right about $125.

Pay the man, watch and learn is my .02

Old 12-07-2015, 08:36 PM
SteveR
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can call a wrecker and they will pull a windshield for you but there are no guarantees on scratches, etc. on the glass. If the glass has decals on it you'll get the decals too. If it has a purple tint too bad...it's yours. :P

If you know somebody who does this for a living they can come to your house and do the job for a few bucks in glue and a case of beer. It is all knowledge, very little in tools.

Watch out if you have rust around your windshield or evidence of leaks like wet carpet. I took a car in once and they gave it back to me with the old windshield taped in. The whole bottom edge for the windshield was GONE. I was able to rebuild it and have them finish the job but it was quite a surprise.
Steve

Old 12-08-2015, 04:34 PM
jimbo74
Veteran

yeah, I might just have to pony up the $... no leaks, it still says PRIMETIME across the top too.... it has a crack that starts in the right corner and goes all the way across about a foot shy of the driver's edge, about a foot up... so really need to replace it

Old 12-08-2015, 09:54 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 81 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by jimbo74
that said, I would like to try and do it cheaper.... should I try?
With no prior experience by your or your helper...absolutely not.

Old 12-09-2015, 02:29 PM
jimbo74
Veteran

I did seal up a bad install once, but it didn't have molding, and it was on an old Toyota truck....

I really want to get this done as cheap as possible, as I am not trying to spend more $ on a van that I still have other problems with, but.... is $205 about right? That quote I got was out the door, and included mobile service as well....

I just thought of something I will try and look into, there are usually guys in a connex outside of pick-n-pull, that do windshields, might check them out.....

Old 12-10-2015, 08:26 AM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 81 Likes on 74 Posts

It's unfortunate that something didn't (ahem) accidentally hit your windshield smack dap in the driver's vision area. Then your insurance company would pick up the charge to change out the windshield.

Old 12-10-2015, 10:44 PM
jimbo74
Veteran

Originally Posted by alloro
It's unfortunate that something didn't (ahem) accidentally hit your windshield smack dap in the driver's vision area. Then your insurance company would pick up the charge to change out the windshield.
yeah, the only problem with that is over time, it will end up costing more, as the insurance company likes to invisibly ding people for those

Old 12-14-2015, 07:44 AM
nibroc
Veteran
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

for $205 drink a cpl brewskies and watch 'em do the job

Old 12-14-2015, 10:03 AM
phillip123hastings
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by alloro
Those accidents usually edn up costing more...

Quick Reply: removal and install of windshield