Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Won't start after dropping gas tank.

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2016 | 05:51 PM
philc79
|
Lightbulb Is this wire the problem?

First off, she started flawless every time before this. I had to patch a hole in the top of the tank. I dropped the tank, performed patch, replaced the tank and it wouldn't start. Dropped the tank enough to reach wire harness and wiggled it around and she started up. Turned her off and bolted tank back up. And again she won't start. Dropped her again and took a closer look at the wire harness and noticed bare wire as seen in the pic below. Do you think the exposed wire is the likely culprit? Secondly, can you pull the pin out so I can replace that one wire instead of the whole harness? Would wrapping with electrical tape be a quick fix? I can't find harness locally and I'm stuck at a friends house and have to get the van out of here. I want to be sure before I replace tank back up as it's a pain in the *** without a floor jack and my buddy just had surgery so he's no help. Thanks for all the help guys.

Last edited by philc79; 04-08-2016 at 06:45 PM.
Old 04-08-2016 | 11:24 PM
SteveR
Captain

Several tight wraps of electrical tape will be fine for the long term. You could put some rubber hose over the wires for insurance.

Old 04-09-2016 | 12:44 AM
jimbo74
Veteran

you can usually jsut replace the individual pins....

you may need to get rid of the stripped wire though..... why is it stripped like that?

electrical tape would be fine, or if you have the time, liquid electrical tape. I personally really like liquid electrical tape if I can use it over regular tape

if that wire is direct shorting, that could be why it wont start... seems a little weird though that a wire back at the fuel tank is causing a no start... or is is a no fuel condition?

Old 04-09-2016 | 12:47 AM
iodj44
Veteran

Seems you found the issue in the wiring or connector. Just noticed your wire furthest left is missing insulation and is probably shorting out.

Last edited by iodj44; 04-09-2016 at 07:09 AM.
Old 04-09-2016 | 11:08 AM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator

I would remove the pin from the connector and slide shrink wrap tubing over the wire. Then shrink the tubing and reinstall the pin. That would pretty much make it a permanent repair.

Quick Reply: Won't start after dropping gas tank.