Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Hi All- New Guy on the Block

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2017, 11:30 AM
rustyk
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi All- New Guy on the Block

Purchased a 2003 1500 Paul Sherry conversion van recently.its in good shape 72000 miles,tranny seems to be ok,just got back from a 3000 mile trip and it performed great.Idid have the complete exhaust system replaced,all the brakes and rotors,calipers,and lines done.New belts hoses and tune up,tranny and engine oil changed,new battery.
I've learned a lot lurking here and going thru past posts.
Ido have a question and that would be my alternator whines like heck. Its putting out the right amount of juice and the tensioners have been replaced. Any clues as to what to look at.The rear end whines a little not bad and the frame is in great shape.Just had it undercoated with New Hampshire Oil. Glad to be here and thanks for your replies

Old 02-05-2017, 12:55 PM
JFloors
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey welcome, it's it's good to have a place like this to learn and help one another out huh?

I can't qualify myself to answer the cause of the whining alternator, possibly the bearing going bad... a google search pulls up some videos, discussions and answers to that and hopefully some of the guys here will chime in on that.

My rear differential has a sort of whine too, but in a cargo van like mine there is lots of noise inside while driving. One thing I learned after my rear end went out at about 230-240k is that it too needs occasional maintenance.
Fresh oil is a good thing if you don't know that it's ever been changed before, may quiet the noise a little bit too.

Old 02-05-2017, 01:53 PM
rustyk
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks JFloors it is always nice to have a place to share info and help out . This is my first Dodge and i've owned quite a few autos and trucks .Didn't know they were so different in a lot of ways.Who would have thought I would have to have it in neutral to have the tranny oil circulate in the morning during warm up.

I have a few more ? to ask later down the line. Thanks

Old 02-05-2017, 05:08 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 93 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by JFloors
I can't qualify myself to answer the cause of the whining alternator, possibly the bearing going bad
Give yourself some credit, you nailed the problem perfectly.