Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

92 Ram 250 Road Trek won't start after replacing battery

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2017, 12:10 AM
Jimintaos
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down 92 Ram 250 Road Trek won't start after replacing battery

I am working on a friend's Road Trek RV built on a 92 Ram 250. Over the winter the battery died and I jump started it-it almost started but then nothing. After putting the battery on a charger I discovered it was no longer holding a charge and so I replaced it.
When it would not start-cranks well on new battery-I checked to see if it was a fuel or spark issue and found that it was not getting a spark from the distributor. I checked the supply to the coil and there is no current reaching the coil. We do have pinyon rats in this area and there was a small nest on top of the engine but I can find no wiring damage either in the engine bay or under the dash.
The vehicle does have an alarm system but the previous owner pulled the fuse.
I have replaced the battery terminal clamps and made sure they were clean, greased with di-electric grease and firmly connected.
I am now at a loss-is there something I'm missing?
When I connected the battery charger to jump start it I used the 125 amp jump start option-is it possible I burned out a relay?
Any and all thoughts on this would be welcomed.
Jim

Old 05-04-2017, 10:22 PM
SteveR
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dielectric grease is a slippery insulator...it will just make your cables fall off. You will need to clean it off. If you are getting some clicking but no rotation then I would say you have a bad connection.
Steve