Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

1990 B350 won't start when hot

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2017, 02:13 PM
Matthew Scarpelli
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1990 B350 won't start when hot

I have a 1990 B350 van with a V8 5.9L 360 engine.

Problem:

When starting from cold the engine turns over a few times and I have to feather the gas pedal to get it to start up. Once it starts she runs nice and smooth and drives fine.

Except on occasion she surges when I get to around 50 mph and it passes over quickly and then runs just fine again from there out. This isn't a major problem as everything seems to be running fine other than this minor problem. I just drove her 600 miles on the interstate and around town no problems and cruise at 65 just fine.

My MAJOR PROBLEM:

If I stop and turn the van off to get gas or take a break she is an absolute nightmare to start. This is when the engine is hot.

I turn the key and she is just continually turning over. I feather the gas pedal and sometimes after a minute she will fire back over. Other times it seems as though I'm slowly killing the battery.

I have so far changed the coil, plugs, wires, rotor, exhaust manifolds, fuel pump in tank.

Any and all help would be so greatly appreciated. We are currently on a road trip up the east coast and are somewhat stuck near Atlanta, GA. I'm currently willing to try anything and everything someone will throw my way.

Thanks so much for all the help! It is more than greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Matt

Old 05-08-2017, 07:20 PM
SteveR
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is your intake all stock with all of the tubing, etc.? I would have expected what you did so far to fix it...I assume you also changed the air and fuel filter.
Cheers, Steve

Old 05-08-2017, 08:15 PM
Matthew Scarpelli

Steve. Thanks so much for the reply. All of the intake is in good condition and there. I did change the fuel filter and air filter. I read somewhere that it could be the distributor pickup coil? I ordered one and am going to change that tomorrow when it comes in. Anything else you recommend changing I am down for hearing it. Thanks so much for your help with this!

Old 05-10-2017, 12:38 PM
NewVanMan

What oil? You might need to go to a heavier top end weight. The viscosity of the oil lowers with heat and it doesn't get pumped into the right places as easily, making it harder to start. Maybe try 10-40 or even 10-50.

edit: You didn't say whether the starter is 'bogged' or not when hot. Is it? If it's turning, but turning slowly, it won't start - in which case, see above comment.

Old 05-10-2017, 03:16 PM
Matthew Scarpelli

I'm not sure if the type of oil. A mechanic just recently changed that for me as at the time I was busy working out of town. I will try and do an oil change tomorrow with a heavier weight. Oil light comes on when I turn the key but once it's started it goes off. The starter isn't bogging down at all. I just changed the fuel pressure regulator today. Still nothing better. Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Old 05-11-2017, 03:19 PM
NewVanMan

Originally Posted by Matthew Scarpelli
I'm not sure if the type of oil. A mechanic just recently changed that for me as at the time I was busy working out of town. I will try and do an oil change tomorrow with a heavier weight. Oil light comes on when I turn the key but once it's started it goes off. The starter isn't bogging down at all. I just changed the fuel pressure regulator today. Still nothing better. Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Don't change it just because I mention it, there's still other things to check.

So engine spins at the same rate hot as it does cold? It doesn't slow down at all hot?