Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

96 B2500 cargo van. few issues (help?)

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2017, 03:22 PM
happyhourtx
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 B2500 cargo van. few issues (help?)

hello. i shoul start by saying, i now nothing about car repair but am slowly learning.
i have a 96 b2500 5.2 cargo van.
i was having some heating issues with it, so i replaced the cap and main hose, then cleaned out the hose in the reservoir. yesterday i replaced the thermostat and it now seems to running better. it is hot down here in texas though so i try to not drive during the day if i dont have to.
i also just replaced the air filter.
next issue that just started. after driving for a few h ours,3-4, when i would pull over to rest, the oil light would come on and the needle would just drop. only after a few hours of driving. well, that changed a few days ago. its now happening more frequently. i jusy put 5qt of oil in 2 days ago, there are no leaks that i could find. now, after driving 30 minutes, the light will com on at a stop and needle will plunge.i am ata loss. any ideas? i ahve a road trip tomorrow and plan on an oil change before i leave.
thanks for any input on this.

Last edited by happyhourtx; 08-01-2017 at 03:24 PM.
Old 08-01-2017, 06:17 PM
JFloors
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know this was said in another recent thread you commented in, but adding 5 qts means you were pretty much running it on empty (of oil), it only takes about 5 1/2 qts! I'd start checking the level at every fuel fill up were it mine.
You might try running some motor flush or a can of seafoam added to the oil for a few miles before changing the filter and oil

Old 08-01-2017, 07:08 PM
Vasman
Default Not good

If you are using that much oil then its either blowing it out the exhaust or its leaking out of valve covers and burning it.

Old 08-01-2017, 07:15 PM
happyhourtx
Amateur

Originally Posted by JFloors
I know this was said in another recent thread you commented in, but adding 5 qts means you were pretty much running it on empty (of oil), it only takes about 5 1/2 qts! I'd start checking the level at every fuel fill up were it mine.
You might try running some motor flush or a can of seafoam added to the oil for a few miles before changing the filter and oil

i was due for an oil change pretty soon, a few hundred miles. i jsut went and had it changed. just now. he said there were no leaks he could see, and there wa plenty of oil in it. changed it anyway. he said not to worry about the gauge being a little messed up as long as i pay attention to the oil level every 1,000 miles. just check it or check it after a road trip. also had the radiator flushed. pretty sure that took care of everything.