Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Dodge Ram b2500 alignment quick question

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2017, 03:13 PM
easyrider77
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dodge Ram b2500 alignment quick question

Info about vehicle:
Dodge ram 2500 (B2500) Van - 231k miles now, but still going strong.
V6 - 3.9L engine
2 wheel rear drive

My tires I had on the van had outside wear on the tires so I'm sure it's in need of an alignment, but recently we changed the a-arm bushings out on the passenger side, and put on idler arms. I had a friend that is a bit more mechanically inclined than I am, so it was more a learning lesson for me than anything.
After loosening the a-arm top bolt, and pounding and prodding we finally got the bushing out, and replaced with a new one, and got it put together as closely as possible as we could.

Given that I'm sure it will now need an alignment, and since I am putting new tires on it this year I want to make sure and get the most out of my tires this run, so I was checking out shops that do alignments. They suggested and said I needed 4 wheel alignment for my make/model of van, as apposed to 2 wheel alignment, but I suspicion this because upon reading on forums different places, I've read that my make/model of van has a solid suspension in the rear and does not need a 4 wheel alignment UNLESS there has been some major wreck, hit from the side or possibly a huge pothole of some sort, aside from that, the forums all lead to no it doesn't need a 4 wheel alignment, and that these shops are just after the money, because as a general rule, 4 wheel costs about 2 times as much as a 2 wheel alignment.

So to my questions, what are your thoughts on this, does this make/model indeed have a solid suspension? if so I will just bypass or find some shop that will not bs me with their up-sales and crap, and move on to someone who will give me a 2 wheel alignment.

Old 10-23-2017, 07:35 PM
Jmn822000
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only way a four wheel alignment is used for leaf rears is to check and correct thrust angle. The track relation from front to rear.

Old 10-23-2017, 09:07 PM
primem
Record Breaker
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

here are the alignment possibilites
2 wheel alignment- only the front alignment heads are mounted...rear thrust angle is not considered...assumed to be zero but what if its not zero= off-center steering wheel
2 wheel thrust alignment- front and rear alignment heads are mounted, no adjustments are done to the rear but the thrust angle is calculated and the front toe is adjusted with the aligner compensating for the thrust angle.
4 wheel alignment- front and rear alignment heads are mounted, rear then front adjustments are performed.

2 wheel alignments should not be done anymore
vehicles with no rear adjustments should have 2 wheel thrust alignments---1.5hrs labour time
vehicle with rear adjustments should have 4 wheel alignments---2.0 hrs labour time

you may find that the people booking the appointments have no idea the difference between the 3 options...the tech will.

always get an alignment printout...a printout that shows no rear camber or toe readings are 2 wheel alignments.

Last edited by primem; 10-23-2017 at 10:05 PM.
Old 10-24-2017, 09:56 AM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

I would rotate the rears to the front and let it go until you get the new tires. With the new tires you can usually get a deal on the alignment if you buy it all at the same time.