Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Upper throttle body assembly

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2018, 04:43 PM
Marycasimira
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Upper throttle body assembly

We have 1994 Dodge B350 van with the 318 gas engine. Was sputtering, backing firing out the exhaust and the throttle body and rough idle. Replaced a lond list of things from the main computer to the throttle body and it’s censors. Ran great until we hit a massive pot hole, engine shut off. Pulled over, van started and we drove home. Next day it wouldn’t start because the battery was broken! Got a new one but now running like before. Could that hard hit have broken the throttle body? The one that was originally in it when we bought the van was 12R10896B, Rreplaced with a 12R15041B. Original Mopar part # was 53031120. Can’t find a replacement part number for the Mopar. Found a 12R-15041B, not sure why the - in the number. Anyone know if it will work with this van? How can you check for cracks in these?

Thank you for your help! Marycasimira

Old 02-18-2018, 09:51 AM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

I'd be more inclined to think a shock like that would damage the main board in the computer long before the throttle body. The only way to test for cracks with it on the vehicle is to use a smoke machine.

Old 02-18-2018, 11:51 AM
Marycasimira

I wasn hoping that wouldn’t be the case! They are nearly impossible to find. Good thing I found one with a lifetime warranty! (Rebuilt). Thank you for you help!

Old 02-18-2018, 12:12 PM
Marycasimira

If it were the brain though, wouldn’t there be a trouble code? That’s what happened before. It did give us code that another censor had gone out, replaced it and computer cleared the code.

Last edited by Marycasimira; 02-18-2018 at 12:25 PM.
Old 02-19-2018, 12:00 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Marycasimira
If it were the brain though, wouldn’t there be a trouble code?

Nope, only if it's a fault detectable by the built-in boot-up tests.

Old 02-19-2018, 07:03 PM
Marycasimira

OK, thank you.

Old 02-19-2018, 07:40 PM
JFloors
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Seems to me, if the long list of parts (sensors) fixed the backfiring/rough idle, but the pot hole jolt caused it to start running same as before, those replacement sensors is where you might begin checking...
troubleshootmyvehicle.com in the Chrysler section gives some good easy to understand walk thru's for testing some of the sensors
It may be helpful if you could list which sensors/parts were replaced and what were the brand of the new ones... aftermarket ones aren't very popular , you'll see as you read through related threads in the forums.

Old 02-19-2018, 10:33 PM
Marycasimira

That’s what we were thinking, it is stalling out too. Just ordered a Mopar idle control valve.

Old 02-20-2018, 07:42 PM
JFloors
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Marycasimira
That’s what we were thinking, it is stalling out too. Just ordered a Mopar idle control valve.
Good idea. The other arguably more important one is the crank sensor. My original was a Mopar but when it began failing the engine would die while letting off the gas pedal coming to a stop. I got good at the two feet working the brake and gas, If I missed the timing on the stop I could go to neutral and restart right away and two foot it till it got moving along fast enough again.Drove it that way for well over a year, it happened intermittent but fairly frequent.
Then found the forums here and the answer to why my engine was dying on me at stops, so switch out the cks with a bwd brand sensor and after a few months it failed but the symptoms were not the same... It would drive a handful of miles then suddenly run rough and engine would cut out at low speed, maybe 35-45 mph then simply die and not restart for 15-30 minutes. then would start and repeat the same thing, drive a few, cut out and die.
Replaced cks with an autozone brand and has run well for about 2 years so far, but next one will be a Mopar one, have it ready for when that day comes.

Old 02-20-2018, 07:48 PM
Marycasimira

Replaced it already. Have a part coming and will go from there. Thank you.

Quick Reply: Upper throttle body assembly