Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

2001 B3500 5.9 Dies Randomly

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2018, 12:41 PM
Jetkillr
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 B3500 5.9 Dies Randomly

Hey guys! I just recently bought a Ram Van 3500 as a camper van and its been great but over the last week i have been having issues.

2001 Dodge Ram Van B3500 Maxi
5.9L GAS
Conversion
4x2

I think i have just about decided that it is the PCM at this point but want to get at least one or 2 more opinions.

So while im driving the power seems to flash off and then on which kills the engine. The check engine light comes on and then goes off. There are no trouble codes as it looks like every time it happens the PCM resets (all readiness monitors reset).
Also, If i have my foot on the gas the engine will try to stay running. Sometimes the power flashes come in bursts and causes the van to buck quite a bit and missfire. At times the vehicle runs fine and other times the power is greatly reduced.

The crank shaft position sensor was replaced by the previous owner and I have checked (although maybe i could check a little better for 5v reference power to crank and cam sensor but it looks like everything is working fine). I just dont have a scope so its hard to look at the CKP and CPS signals.

Another kicker, is if the key is on and the engine is off and I am just sitting there doing nothing, it will do the same power cut off. The PCM resets and I can hear the relays click and everything once power is restored to them. One time as it was sitting with key on engine off I actually got a NO BUS on the odometer but only one time. It also seems to be slightly worse at cold start then gets a little less frequent but while im driving sometimes it will come in swarms of these glitches.

Things i have done to try to fix with no change or improvment: (actually things have progressively been getting worse over time, nothing I have touched has really accelerated the issue. Seems to progress at the same rate)
*Reset all the contacts in the PCM connectors.
*Yesterday I went to Oreillys and replaced the battery with an Optima Yellow Top.
*I removed and cleaned off all the grounds i could find in the vicinity of the PCM and reinstalled them, including battery contacts.
*removed the power and ground from the power distribution box, cleaned and reinstalled contacts.
*removed ground strap near coil, cleaned off cable and contact points and reinstalled.
*swapped the ASD and the A/C relay to see id that was the issue.

Things i have not done yet:
*have not thoroughly inspected the power cable from the battery. Maybe need to check the voltage drop on it. (started thinking this couldnt be the issue with just sitting there and having the issue)

Any suggestions? Comments?

Thanks everyone!

-Ryan

Old 03-27-2018, 11:35 AM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Jetkillr
So while im driving the power seems to flash off and then on which kills the engine. The check engine light comes on and then goes off. There are no trouble codes as it looks like every time it happens the PCM resets (all readiness monitors reset).
The reset can only happen if the PCM is bad or if the Keep Alive Memory (KAM) circuit is interrupted, such as with a fuse who's contacts are not clean and tight, or a loose electrical connector.

Old 03-27-2018, 01:54 PM
Jetkillr
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by alloro
The reset can only happen if the PCM is bad or if the Keep Alive Memory (KAM) circuit is interrupted, such as with a fuse who's contacts are not clean and tight, or a loose electrical connector.
Right, The only thing that kinda worries me is maybe the power distribution box. But everything seems to be in working order there. Ill look more into it.

Quick Reply: 2001 B3500 5.9 Dies Randomly