Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

New here with question about 01 dodge 3500 van PO 601 code

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2018, 10:04 PM
Stevern
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New here with question about 01 dodge 3500 van PO 601 code

I am thinking about purchasing an 01 dodge 3500. It is showing the PO 601 code. The dealer told me the guy replaced the transmission with a heavy duty transmission. He said the code came after that was done. He is saying that the guy has driven it with no problems for over 4 months. I have read all about this code here on the forum and other places that come up with google. My question is, can the vehicle be driven with this code, and if I remove the battery cable for 30 minutes or so will it permanently reset it. The van IMO is a good buy has only 136000 miles on it. exterior and interior is perfect condition, and runs and drives very well, with no issues that I can tell except this code. What do I need to be concerned about, and what is the cost to replace the ECM? At 72yo, I do not want a real headache if I get this. I am going to use the vehicle to tow a small camper trailer. I appreciate any help everyone can give me.

Steve

Old 12-20-2018, 09:47 PM
gabrock
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I had to replace the PCM on my 2001 Dodge Ram 3500 Van Roadtrek Motorhome 318 a couple years ago, cost me $1,000 US...was in Anchorage at the time. Replacement fixed problem, hope the PCM lasts many years as have only 100,000 km on it. Investment was worth it as van worth about $28,000 US. Can't say if worth it on basic van.

Old 12-21-2018, 01:25 AM
ramvan61
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

P0601 Symptoms

• Check Engine Light will illuminate
  • Failure of Emissions Inspections due to OBD-II Monitor issues
  • ABS/Traction Control Light may illuminate
  • Vehicle may not perform and/or shift properly
  • OBD-II Monitor 'READY' flags go to 'NOT READY' every time key is removed from the ignition
  • Decrease in fuel economy
  • In unusual cases, there are no adverse conditions noticed by the driver
  • In some cases, there may be performance problems, such as dying when coming to a stop and/or misfire-like symptoms
Common Problems That Trigger the P0601 Code

• Lack of proper voltage to the PCM
  • Defective PCM memory module
  • Defective PCM ground circuit(s)
  • Defective PCM controlled output devices
Common Misdiagnoses

• PCM is replaced when the root cause is improper voltage to the PCM
  • PCM is replaced when the root cause is defective PCM ground circuits

Last edited by ramvan61; 12-21-2018 at 02:41 PM.

Quick Reply: New here with question about 01 dodge 3500 van PO 601 code