Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

318 Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2018, 09:14 PM
I86hotdogs
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 318 Rebuild

Hey all,

I've started my engine rebuild on my '96 3/4 ton. I've gotten the intake manifold removed, valve covers removed, all of the front accessories minus the harmonic balancer. I've disconnected the crossover pipe from the exhaust manifolds. Oil pan and oil pump are taken off. I'm onto the step of removing the trans bolts and engine mount. Was wondering if there was any general tips or things to look out for during this phase? How many total trans bolts need to be removed? Where are good places to hook up the hoist to the engine with minimal damage? Should also note I've removed the radiator, grill, and everything minus the front bumper. Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again!

Old 08-05-2018, 12:03 AM
SteveR
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Remove the wheel well liners with an upholstery tool if you still have them (may only exist on the passenger side to protect the alternator).
Removing the engine mount adapters from the block may make it easier to remove the engine and mounts. It is really hard to change the drivers side mount if you leave the adapter in place. The passenger side is impossible because the engine hits the floor before you get enough height (on the 1991 model in my experience).
Make notes regarding the orientation of the OEM mounts as they have indexing nubs on them...the aftermarket mounts do not have these indexes. I had to strip the paint off the new mounts using a wire wheel to get the nuts to thread.

Quick Reply: 318 Rebuild