Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Strange sound

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2018, 03:15 PM
lodhe54
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange sound

probably sounds cliché, but, have a weird sound coming out of my 94 dodge van b250 318. If you have ever heard a ricochet it is like that basically. When I accelerate then stop it sounds like a whirly spin firecracker. high pitched very fast then slows down. Don't think its anything from the belt as it stops eventually. I have replaced the water pump, the pulley, the tensioner pulley, the alternator and the serpentine belt. All that is left is the fan clutch, the air compressor and the power steering pump. I don't think there is anything harmful from it, it is just annoying that I can't find it #!! anyone had a similar issue?

Old 10-05-2018, 03:21 PM
lodhe54

I am starting to think fan clutch, because it is when I accelerate or rev the engine, and that clutch would grab fast then slow down to normal after higher RPMS. Anyone?

Old 10-05-2018, 03:27 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

With the engine off have you grabbed the fan and turned it to see if there is any resistance to the clutch?

Old 10-05-2018, 07:08 PM
lodhe54

I just tried that and it does not spin freely. It has resistance. I mean it is not like a dead stop, but it will not spin freely.

Old 10-05-2018, 08:38 PM
lodhe54

I am thinking it may be a bad temp sensor in the clutch. It does at times when totally cold sound like a tornado wind tunnel and has loss of power then slowly stops being loud and I can go normally, kind of like a slipping transmission would feel and sound with engine revving. Kind of in the same way the weird sound happens too. Possibly the clutch is fully engaged when it should not be? I just bought a new one which I don't want to put all that in for no reason. So give me some feedback everyone. In my mind, the fan would not be engaged like that when cold. I have thought I fixed it when I replaced the oxygen sensors as it didn't do it when I tested it, it tricked me. I also replaced the EGR, PCV, throttle position sensor etc. It is improving step by step (check engine light was on, rough idle, almost stall when I rev the engine) but this last issue is eluding me.

Old 10-07-2018, 12:17 AM
lodhe54

OK. Replaced fan clutch. What a pain in the butt. I did find a great tool that said it was a GM part, but fit my 1994 Dodge b250 318 5.2L water pump pulley perfectly. I got it at Advanced Auto part number 43580 from LISLE. Worked perfectly, I used a straight breaker bar with that and a long fence post I used to jack against the frame and ended up using my trusty pipe wrench on the nut. Worked like a charm after putting penetrating oil of the nut housing and letting soak for three hours. So far, great power back, accelerated up a hill with proper kick down in transmission, temp gauge is reporting proper cooling now too. Accelerates strong and at going 50 pushing pedal down actually now kicked a gear down and charged ahead. Been a long time since she did that. I really want to tear down this engine and rebuild but I have also been eyeing a 360 for "Great White". I did find today a stripped or broken exhaust manifold Bolt on drivers side. So we shall see. One additional question I had was has there ever been a recall on the front suspension on these? Sometimes when I hit a bump it sounds like I have no shock or spings, it just slams hard like metal on metal. I wonder if there is a recall. Getting really hard to find parts for Great White too. If anyone has a source please let me know. One final thought, the darn Haynes book 1971 - 2003 has sucked twice so far with incorrect specs and lacking proper steps I am not happy with this book so any other books would be appreciated in this thread.

Old 10-08-2018, 10:40 PM
manny1602

I had that metal to metal sound on my 1996 B1500 every time I hit a slight bump in the road. Turns out that the rubber bushing and the metal washer at the top of the driver side shock absorber disappeared and that shock basically just flopped around.
Replaced the front shocks on both sides and she's running smooth over bumps and potholes.

Old 10-11-2018, 08:53 AM
lodhe54

Thanks for that I will check that out. Had the shocks replaced probably 11 years ago, will check what you said.

Quick Reply: Strange sound