Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

I may have accidently the whole thing......

Old 11-10-2018, 10:11 PM
Grayson Swanner
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I may have accidently the whole thing......

Hi my name is Grayson and im new to this forum. I recently purchased a 1990 Dodge Ram B3500 Maxi/wagon 15 passenger van for $700 witch i felt was a fair deal since it had only 64k original miles on it (old church van that rarely got used). Since i bought it Ive put a lot of work into the typical tune up stuff such as fluids, filters, belts bushings, exhaust, converted it into a cargo van etc. Well everything had worked fine until I decided to change my plug wires, cap and rotor the other day.(i had replaced the plugs 2 weeks before but didnt have the funds for the other stuff till now or else i would have done them all at once) anyways I copied the old cap and wire layout one wire at a time to insure it was correct and even pulled up a diagram just to be absolutely sure. After it was all back together i fired her up and it purred like a kitten. Gave it some gas and sounded like it was firing on all 8 without a single mis or backfiring. So i put it in gear to take a drive and it went from sounding like a healthy v8 to a WW1 Soppith Camel comming in for a crash landing haha and the thing could barely pull its own weight. Frustrated and tired I called it a night, the next day I came out and decided to put the old cap back on to see if it was a faulty cap and by accident when I rewired it to the old rotor I basically mirrored the firing order without noticing(i was pretty tired) and when I went to start it it began to turn over and then I heard a clunk and it just stopped instantly. That's when I looked down and noticed my mistake so I rewired it the correct way and then tried starting it and it wouldn't even fire but it would backfire out of the carb. So I started doing all the tests it's getting fuel is getting spark it has new plugs basically new wires new distributor cap new rotor new coil and I'm not getting anything from it besides backfiring out of the carb. I'm wondering if I didn't cause the timing chain to skip a tooth or two when I wired it wrong but I'm not even sure if that is possible. Any ideas or advice would be much appreciated cuz I'm lost on this thing. I haven't pulled my valve covers off yet but I'll do that tomorrow once I got some sunlight and see if I don't see any damage Springs or anything

Old 11-11-2018, 08:41 AM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

With only 64K miles the timing chain isn't worn enough to jump a tooth. To me it sounds like your spark plug wires might all be off one tower on the distributor cap. To verify, align the timing marks on the crankshaft pulley and remove the cap to see if the rotor is pointing at the #1 spark plug wire.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I may have accidently the whole thing......