Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

98 dodge b1500

Old 01-19-2019, 11:42 AM
cball
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 dodge b1500

some one please help we just got this van and its being sitting for 2 or 3 years my husband when to start it and it acted like it wanted to start but then it would only click he noticed the injectors where flooding the cylinders so we bought a new set of injectors he got them on and we have the same problem what is going on

Old 01-19-2019, 01:02 PM
JFloors
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cball
some one please help we just got this van and its being sitting for 2 or 3 years my husband when to start it and it acted like it wanted to start but then it would only click he noticed the injectors where flooding the cylinders so we bought a new set of injectors he got them on and we have the same problem what is going on
Was the van running when you bought it?
After sitting for 2-3 years I'd suspect the battery is weak / no good any more, after a full charge it may crank the engine over a few times then nothing as you described... have it tested at your local parts store and be prepared to buy a new one. Clean the connections really good
Two things you might try first along with the battery issue is,
1. take off the distributor cap and inspect inside for crud, corrosion, cracks or excessive wear and also the (rotor) replace them if at all questionable, Get the brass contact type for the cap, cost is maybe $20. for both.
2. check for spark, strong blue spark is what you are looking for. Pull a couple spark plugs and inspect, #6 and # 8 plugs are on the passenger side rear #5 n #7 are driver side, and probably easiest to get at. Be careful pulling the wires or you may be replacing those as well as the cap and rotor (which may be a good idea to do anyway, plugs too) Copper plugs are cheap and what our engines prefer, I used NGK brand last tuneup

One other thought... get some fuel system/injector lube/cleaner like (Gumout or Techron, or Lucas) and a few gallons of fresh gas to run through the system once it's running.

Hopefully someone else will offer some suggestions for you as well
Good luck

Last edited by JFloors; 01-19-2019 at 01:12 PM. Reason: additional suggestion
Old 01-20-2019, 09:29 AM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Gas is only good for about 2-years.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 98 dodge b1500