Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

rack and pinion

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2019, 10:29 AM
jose oquendo
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rack and pinion

Morning one and all I have a question has anybody put a rack and pinion steering on the 2003 Dodge ram and deleted the steering gearbox system I am about to take that plunge I'll let you guys know how it comes out it sure works fine keep you guys posted have a great day God bless

Old 02-02-2019, 11:48 AM
SteveR
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Please post photos, I'm interested to see how it turns out. Are you going to do electric power steering?

Old 02-02-2019, 11:54 AM
jose oquendo
Amateur

no going to use the power steering pump hopefully it will workmite have to get diff line;s

Old 02-02-2019, 12:57 PM
primem
Record Breaker
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

make sure you get the rack mounting level or you will have a bump steer condition....every time you hit a bump...you will have a directional change.

Old 02-02-2019, 01:39 PM
jose oquendo
Amateur
Default please explain

mounting level

Old 02-03-2019, 01:27 AM
primem
Record Breaker
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

the inner tie rod end is fixed...the outer end moves up and down with suspension movement....but it moves in an arc based on the fixed point of the inner end.
so as the suspension moves down the toes moves out....negative toe.... due to the arc....it moves out equally on both sides when the rack is level.....so you do not get a directional change as both tires went negative the same amount. With a rack that isn't level....one wheel with toe out(negative toe) and the other will toe in(positive toe)….ie both tires turn to the same side.
bump steer is something alignment techs check for after a car has been in a collision. they pull down on the bumper and should see the toe reading go negative equally on both wheels.
not sure what your hoping to gain with the swap. parallelogram steering linkage is a stronger set up. It may have more parts that wear but if you do this wrong its a dangerous setup. This is best left to a car builder or engineer not a backyarder.

Quick Reply: rack and pinion