DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   Dodge Ram Van (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-ram-van-100/)
-   -   Replace ac compressor bearings (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-ram-van/421266-replace-ac-compressor-bearings.html)

arty4444 02-04-2019 01:13 PM

Replace ac compressor bearings

I have a 2001 DRV 3500 and would like to know if it is possible to replace the AC compressor bearings w/out detaching the refrigerant lines from the compressor. The bearings are "whining" and about to go. After replacing the AC clutch coil awhile back I know I can unbolt the compressor and get good access to it with lines still attached. Just wondering if it's possible at this point and not looking for DIY instructions. Thanks in advance.

HeyYou 02-04-2019 02:16 PM

Clutch bearings? Or the bearings for the compressor itself? You can replace the entire clutch assembly, without too much trouble, but, if you are going after the internal bearings, no, you have to depressurize the system. I would be far more tempted to replace the entire compressor. If the bearings are shot, you can bet the rest of the compressor isn't far behind.

arty4444 02-04-2019 04:26 PM

The whining is only when the compressor is cooling and not the rest of the time. I guess that would be the internal bearings. If that's the case would you have a ruff idea of the shop cost for compressor replacement? I know other parts must also be replaced but plan to buy my own rebuilt compressor. Lastly I know Autozone lends stuff I need to do replacement myself- is the job like reasonable for an "average" doit yourselfer or do you advise a shop do it? And thanks for your response.

ramvan61 02-04-2019 08:19 PM

It is not a DIY job if you invest in compressor why not have a professional do it. I believe you had thread "DIY lowside AC charge" and I told you that you were going to destroy the compressor. But the advice was ignored. I don't contribute much to this forum because I'm not a mechanic but I am a HVAC-R tech been one for over 25 years. I have worked on autos to chillers, so I might know what I'm talking about on this subject.

arty4444 02-05-2019 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by ramvan61 (Post 3428144)
It is not a DIY job if you invest in compressor why not have a professional do it. I believe you had thread "DIY lowside AC charge" and I told you that you were going to destroy the compressor. But the advice was ignored. I don't contribute much to this forum because I'm not a mechanic but I am a HVAC-R tech been one for over 25 years. I have worked on autos to chillers, so I might know what I'm talking about on this subject.

Why not a professional?- Because in S. Fl. your chances of finding an AC shop that knows what they're doing are slim and if you do find one that does know what they're doing your chances are very very high you'll get the one problem fixed at 2 to 3 times the price quoted and drive out with at least 1 problem you didn't have going in. At I shop you also risk having to tow back home a vehicle that will never run again. That's from my own experience and everyone else with a car I know. For my last repair (cat. converter) I drove 300 miles N. to a small town (Altoona) to not get ripped off and get a running van back. You asked.
As for your "advise ignored" claim you are wrong. I took yours and a lot of other advise into consideration and got through last summer and a 6,000 mi. road trip with an AC that worked fine fixed for $12.
Lastly if you do "know what your talking about" then why aren't you aware this does have the possibility of being a DYI job- certainly many others have done it with tools you can now barrow from auto stores?
Im sorry you had to do 25 as an HVAC-R tech but I'm after less whining not more- I'm already married.

ramvan61 02-05-2019 10:45 AM

So your fix was temporary, good for you. So you did not take my advice to fix it properly, good for you.....but here are you again asking for advice. Gee is there pattern developing here? You need not feel sorry me about my career choice. My AC works and if it needs a repair I can repair it. One last thing, I feel sorry for you because you are not astute enough to find a repair shop that will not "rip you off." Have a nice day Arty and you will be back.

alloro 02-05-2019 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by arty4444 (Post 3428191)
Why not a professional?

I'm sure what ramvan61 was trying to express is that most who come here to ask the questions you asked have limited experience with AC compressor rebuilding and thus, taking it to a professional rebuild shop would save you some headache. There's also the option of replacing the compressor yourself, but be aware that if the bearings are indeed worn there is likely metal particles suspended in the refrigerant oil. These metal particles will destroy a new or rebuilt compressor if the entire system is not first flushed out.

arty4444 02-05-2019 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by ramvan61 (Post 3428209)
So your fix was temporary, good for you. So you did not take my advice to fix it properly, good for you.....but here are you again asking for advice. Gee is there pattern developing here? You need not feel sorry me about my career choice. My AC works and if it needs a repair I can repair it. One last thing, I feel sorry for you because you are not astute enough to find a repair shop that will not "rip you off." Have a nice day Arty and you will be back.

My AC works also and I too can repair it. All it takes is the tools which I can get on loan and a good DYI guide which I have found. As I told you I can find decent repair shops just not local. You certainly have a chip on your shoulder or at least a strange way to try and make yourself seem superior in your own mind. I'll fix my van's problem but can you fix your's? Yes I probably will be back but in the mean time bite me dude.

ramvan61 02-05-2019 03:35 PM

Thank you Alloro that exactly what I wanted to say and did not say....smiling. The last time I did a in depth explanation of the problems that might occur it was ignored. Funny what I said could happen with a patch job did occur the compressor gave out. I will not with a respond childish come backs, people here act too professional with their questions and answers. I will not sully the rep of this forum with a tit for tat. This response is to you Alloro. Again thank you

arty4444 02-05-2019 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by alloro (Post 3428212)
I'm sure what ramvan61 was trying to express is that most who come here to ask the questions you asked have limited experience with AC compressor rebuilding and thus, taking it to a professional rebuild shop would save you some headache. There's also the option of replacing the compressor yourself, but be aware that if the bearings are indeed worn there is likely metal particles suspended in the refrigerant oil. These metal particles will destroy a new or rebuilt compressor if the entire system is not first flushed out.

thanks. That is exactly the kind of tip that can make the difference between a successful DIY job and a bad one.

arty4444 02-05-2019 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by ramvan61 (Post 3428246)
Thank you Alloro that exactly what I wanted to say and did not say....smiling. The last time I did a in depth explanation of the problems that might occur it was ignored. Funny what I said could happen with a patch job did occur the compressor gave out. I will not with a respond childish come backs, people here act too professional with their questions and answers. I will not sully the rep of this forum with a tit for tat. This response is to you Alloro. Again thank you

I'm sure many people who post questions on this sight also research elsewhere. Your advice may not be followed but heeded and appreciated by the questioner who for any number of reasons that you could not be aware of makes their own choice to proceed other than the manner you suggest. With your input I still charged my AC myself from the low side weighing the risks which you and others made me aware of against the possible damage and costs I have become used to when I take my van to a shop here and in my case just before a long planned road trip. My trip went fine with AC working. My gamble paid off at that point as far as I'm concerned. You could not know at this point many more thousands of miles later
that my charge then caused my current problem and if it did I was forewarned and knowing in the decision I made.
For you to post now in essence chiding me for my decision is uninformed and immature. So you might want to keep that mean spirited "I told you so" holstered- or not if that's your thing. Nobody has to follow anybody's advice on this site and the responders I have come to know before you would simply still give advice on the current problem without researching- "wait, isn't this that guy I told a year ago to...". Who does that? Really man ask yourself that question.

alloro 02-06-2019 10:15 AM

Let's get back on topic so this thread doesn't have to get locked, okay! :icon_beerchug:

arty4444 02-06-2019 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by alloro (Post 3428322)
Let's get back on topic so this thread doesn't have to get locked, okay! :icon_beerchug:

Will do and thanks for the leeway we were given to get our side issue expressed.

Widebody 02-06-2019 04:15 PM

Not sure what the original posters budget is but a new compressor can be had for $100. Last summer I ended up buying a new compressor from rock auto as well as a new condensor and expansion valve. I called a mobile mechanic to make the fix. Total labor was about $180.

HeyYou 02-06-2019 05:01 PM

Since the compressor has basically failed, or, is at least well on its way toward failure, replace the compressor, orfice tube, receiver/dryer, and flush the system thoroughly before putting it back together........

arty4444 02-06-2019 06:22 PM

Thanks very much Widebody and HeyYou. Along with previous info I now have a good idea what needs to be replaced and the importance of flushing. A come to you mechanic is something I hadn't thought of and really helpful advice. I can keep an eye on the work and verify such things as the flush. Also I'll feel much better with that type of mechanic over a large shop. I thought I was looking at thousands but for hundreds there is no way I want to do this myself. I may sound paranoid about bad or dishonest mechanics but know in some urban areas the person needing repairs is basically considered a mark and do my best to not be one.
Thanks

alloro 02-07-2019 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by Widebody (Post 3428348)
but a new compressor can be had for $100.

New or rebuilt?

Widebody 02-07-2019 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by alloro (Post 3428444)
New or rebuilt?

Was new last year. I see Rock Auto prices have all gone up. If you search hard enough, most online are in the $200 range but there are a couple that are about $150 for brand new.

I had the compressor, condenser, air dryer, and expansion valve replaced.

Just for reference to the OP, I had a new compressor installed at a shop little over a year prior. I didnt know much about AC then. My AC quit working and I brought to a repair shop and they said I need a new compressor and pressure switches. Was $900 plus dollar repair. Little over a year, AC compressor starts squeeling really loud. I brought back to original shop and they said warranty is only good for year. They had it all day, and said don't know what's wrong, and think the alternator is not putting out enough apps for the compressor and wanted to keep it for more days. I left with my van and researched myself. Youtube videos matched my compressor clutch going out, and I tested my alternator which was fine. I ordered all my own parts and called "wrench" or something like that to make an appointment. I did it all online and it gives you an estimate for the repair type you are looking for. The tech took about 1.25 hours to fix everything.

arty4444 02-08-2019 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by Widebody (Post 3428457)
Was new last year. I see Rock Auto prices have all gone up. If you search hard enough, most online are in the $200 range but there are a couple that are about $150 for brand new.

I had the compressor, condenser, air dryer, and expansion valve replaced.

Just for reference to the OP, I had a new compressor installed at a shop little over a year prior. I didnt know much about AC then. My AC quit working and I brought to a repair shop and they said I need a new compressor and pressure switches. Was $900 plus dollar repair. Little over a year, AC compressor starts squeeling really loud. I brought back to original shop and they said warranty is only good for year. They had it all day, and said don't know what's wrong, and think the alternator is not putting out enough apps for the compressor and wanted to keep it for more days. I left with my van and researched myself. Youtube videos matched my compressor clutch going out, and I tested my alternator which was fine. I ordered all my own parts and called "wrench" or something like that to make an appointment. I did it all online and it gives you an estimate for the repair type you are looking for. The tech took about 1.25 hours to fix everything.

So they want to put in a new alternator knowing it won't fix the belt driven compressor (except for clutch which battery power alone could activate). And then what a new PCM?
So much money is stolen, damage done, time lost and personal harm done by so many mechanics seems there has to be a business opportunity for some kind of repair advocacy. If I were rich a packing brute with an alligator would accompany my ride throughout the repair with a live remote video feed to an over qualified techie assisted with "spot the con" auto repair software.

alloro 02-11-2019 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by arty4444 (Post 3428580)
So much money is stolen, damage done, time lost and personal harm done by so many mechanics seems there has to be a business opportunity for some kind of repair advocacy.

This is why I educated all of my sisters about car basics when they started driving, I didn't want any mechanics to be able to take advantage. There's an old saying that goes, "If you think education is expensive, try ignorance." :)