Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Replace ac compressor bearings

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2019, 01:13 PM
arty4444
Professional
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Replace ac compressor bearings

I have a 2001 DRV 3500 and would like to know if it is possible to replace the AC compressor bearings w/out detaching the refrigerant lines from the compressor. The bearings are "whining" and about to go. After replacing the AC clutch coil awhile back I know I can unbolt the compressor and get good access to it with lines still attached. Just wondering if it's possible at this point and not looking for DIY instructions. Thanks in advance.

Old 02-04-2019, 02:16 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Clutch bearings? Or the bearings for the compressor itself? You can replace the entire clutch assembly, without too much trouble, but, if you are going after the internal bearings, no, you have to depressurize the system. I would be far more tempted to replace the entire compressor. If the bearings are shot, you can bet the rest of the compressor isn't far behind.

Old 02-04-2019, 04:26 PM
arty4444
Professional

The whining is only when the compressor is cooling and not the rest of the time. I guess that would be the internal bearings. If that's the case would you have a ruff idea of the shop cost for compressor replacement? I know other parts must also be replaced but plan to buy my own rebuilt compressor. Lastly I know Autozone lends stuff I need to do replacement myself- is the job like reasonable for an "average" doit yourselfer or do you advise a shop do it? And thanks for your response.

Old 02-04-2019, 08:19 PM
ramvan61
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is not a DIY job if you invest in compressor why not have a professional do it. I believe you had thread "DIY lowside AC charge" and I told you that you were going to destroy the compressor. But the advice was ignored. I don't contribute much to this forum because I'm not a mechanic but I am a HVAC-R tech been one for over 25 years. I have worked on autos to chillers, so I might know what I'm talking about on this subject.

Old 02-05-2019, 08:20 AM
arty4444
Professional

Originally Posted by ramvan61
It is not a DIY job if you invest in compressor why not have a professional do it. I believe you had thread "DIY lowside AC charge" and I told you that you were going to destroy the compressor. But the advice was ignored. I don't contribute much to this forum because I'm not a mechanic but I am a HVAC-R tech been one for over 25 years. I have worked on autos to chillers, so I might know what I'm talking about on this subject.
Why not a professional?- Because in S. Fl. your chances of finding an AC shop that knows what they're doing are slim and if you do find one that does know what they're doing your chances are very very high you'll get the one problem fixed at 2 to 3 times the price quoted and drive out with at least 1 problem you didn't have going in. At I shop you also risk having to tow back home a vehicle that will never run again. That's from my own experience and everyone else with a car I know. For my last repair (cat. converter) I drove 300 miles N. to a small town (Altoona) to not get ripped off and get a running van back. You asked.
As for your "advise ignored" claim you are wrong. I took yours and a lot of other advise into consideration and got through last summer and a 6,000 mi. road trip with an AC that worked fine fixed for $12.
Lastly if you do "know what your talking about" then why aren't you aware this does have the possibility of being a DYI job- certainly many others have done it with tools you can now barrow from auto stores?
Im sorry you had to do 25 as an HVAC-R tech but I'm after less whining not more- I'm already married.

Old 02-05-2019, 10:45 AM
ramvan61
Rookie

So your fix was temporary, good for you. So you did not take my advice to fix it properly, good for you.....but here are you again asking for advice. Gee is there pattern developing here? You need not feel sorry me about my career choice. My AC works and if it needs a repair I can repair it. One last thing, I feel sorry for you because you are not astute enough to find a repair shop that will not "rip you off." Have a nice day Arty and you will be back.

Last edited by jkeaton; 02-05-2019 at 11:08 AM.
Old 02-05-2019, 11:03 AM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by arty4444
Why not a professional?
I'm sure what ramvan61 was trying to express is that most who come here to ask the questions you asked have limited experience with AC compressor rebuilding and thus, taking it to a professional rebuild shop would save you some headache. There's also the option of replacing the compressor yourself, but be aware that if the bearings are indeed worn there is likely metal particles suspended in the refrigerant oil. These metal particles will destroy a new or rebuilt compressor if the entire system is not first flushed out.

Old 02-05-2019, 12:52 PM
arty4444
Professional

Originally Posted by ramvan61
So your fix was temporary, good for you. So you did not take my advice to fix it properly, good for you.....but here are you again asking for advice. Gee is there pattern developing here? You need not feel sorry me about my career choice. My AC works and if it needs a repair I can repair it. One last thing, I feel sorry for you because you are not astute enough to find a repair shop that will not "rip you off." Have a nice day Arty and you will be back.
My AC works also and I too can repair it. All it takes is the tools which I can get on loan and a good DYI guide which I have found. As I told you I can find decent repair shops just not local. You certainly have a chip on your shoulder or at least a strange way to try and make yourself seem superior in your own mind. I'll fix my van's problem but can you fix your's? Yes I probably will be back but in the mean time bite me dude.

Old 02-05-2019, 03:35 PM
ramvan61
Rookie

Thank you Alloro that exactly what I wanted to say and did not say....smiling. The last time I did a in depth explanation of the problems that might occur it was ignored. Funny what I said could happen with a patch job did occur the compressor gave out. I will not with a respond childish come backs, people here act too professional with their questions and answers. I will not sully the rep of this forum with a tit for tat. This response is to you Alloro. Again thank you

Last edited by ramvan61; 02-05-2019 at 04:32 PM.
Old 02-05-2019, 06:50 PM
arty4444
Professional

Originally Posted by alloro
I'm sure what ramvan61 was trying to express is that most who come here to ask the questions you asked have limited experience with AC compressor rebuilding and thus, taking it to a professional rebuild shop would save you some headache. There's also the option of replacing the compressor yourself, but be aware that if the bearings are indeed worn there is likely metal particles suspended in the refrigerant oil. These metal particles will destroy a new or rebuilt compressor if the entire system is not first flushed out.
thanks. That is exactly the kind of tip that can make the difference between a successful DIY job and a bad one.

Quick Reply: Replace ac compressor bearings