DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   Dodge Ram Van (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-ram-van-100/)
-   -   2000 1500 van cruise control installation (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-ram-van/423265-2000-1500-van-cruise-control-installation.html)

Detore344 05-10-2019 10:28 PM

2000 1500 van cruise control installation

I have a 2000 1500 van with a 5.2. It did not come with cruise control. I found a similar era van at a local-ish Pick-n-Pull and took the clockspring, switches, vacuum actuator, and rear steering wheel cover. Installed all the components, and there is no cruise control. I may have taken for granted that just because everything plugs in, doesn't mean it'll work. Does anyone know if there are other components required? Does it require a different ECM? Is there a control module somewhere that I missed? There is a bulb in the instrument panel for it, but no light comes on. There is simply no function.

HeyYou 05-11-2019 07:34 AM

I am pretty sure that yours should work the same way as it does on the trucks.... And on those, the PCM sends a five volt signal to the cruise switches, and gets a modified signal back, depending on which button (if any) you press. Then it just does what you told it to. PCM controls the servo. Now, does the PCM need to be clued in that you actually HAVE cruise control? I don't know..... Do you have the 'cruise' light in your cluster? Might try and run a cluster test, and see if that one shows up. (my guess would be 'no'.....)

Detore344 05-12-2019 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by HeyYou (Post 3438701)
I am pretty sure that yours should work the same way as it does on the trucks.... And on those, the PCM sends a five volt signal to the cruise switches, and gets a modified signal back, depending on which button (if any) you press. Then it just does what you told it to. PCM controls the servo. Now, does the PCM need to be clued in that you actually HAVE cruise control? I don't know..... Do you have the 'cruise' light in your cluster? Might try and run a cluster test, and see if that one shows up. (my guess would be 'no'.....)

While doing various other things, I did pull the cluster, and there is a bulb in the cruise light spot, so in that case there is one. Whether or not it gets any signal from the pcm I don't know. I will try and get out to one of the dealerships and see if any of the parts guys I used to work with are still around, and see if they can give me any insight. Not sure if this van is new enough to require the pcm to be reflashed to activate something or not.

HeyYou 05-13-2019 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by Detore344 (Post 3438872)
While doing various other things, I did pull the cluster, and there is a bulb in the cruise light spot, so in that case there is one. Whether or not it gets any signal from the pcm I don't know. I will try and get out to one of the dealerships and see if any of the parts guys I used to work with are still around, and see if they can give me any insight. Not sure if this van is new enough to require the pcm to be reflashed to activate something or not.

Might be the Central Timer module as well??

Detore344 05-14-2019 03:28 AM

Well,... since I don't know what that is, perhaps I will look into it! Thanks! I'll keep y'all informed as things move along.

HeyYou 05-14-2019 07:26 AM

Ok, looking at wiring diagrams, CTM doesn't matter. Switches get power from the PCM, modify the signal, send it back to pcm. PCM directly controls the cruise servo. No intermediary system. Do you have power on the Dark Blue/Red wire at the servo? Should be a yellow/red wire on the brake switch, that is power feed FROM the PCM, changes to Dark Blue/Red wire going out to the cruise servo.

Detore344 05-16-2019 01:57 AM

That's actually some really useful information. I'll check it out next time I'm in there.

Detore344 05-18-2019 07:11 PM

I haven't checked for power yet. I need to get a power probe. Yeah,... I know. But I did stop at a local Dodge parts counter today. They told me my best bet was to take the computer out of the donor, etc, etc. Unfortunately, that van had a different motor, and quite frankly, at that point I assumed they didn't know what they were talking about. They said I had to reprogram the van to think it had the vin# from the donor, and since I know you can replace engine computers from working as a service manager for several years, that just didn't sound right. I have a feeling the computer has to be told to turn it on, but I don't have the necessary scan tool for that. I also would like to check with a couple different sources first. Thank you for the continued help. I'll keep things updated as I find out more.

HeyYou 05-18-2019 07:30 PM

Its only going to be like 5 volts, so, a volt meter would be better than a test light. You can get just a cheap one. Digital or analog, doesn't matter.

Joe King 05-20-2019 10:06 PM

I did this conversion on my 1994 van, should have done it so much earlier! I also had a 3 speed transmission originally and converted it to a 46rh and got tired of the silly kit shifting into OD and lock up. I bought a pcm that was for a pickup with the same trans and it had cruise. I few months later a van came in the yard that I was able to yank the the servo, steering wheel, BRAKE SWITCH, very important! My van was actually all wired up already for cruise control, fuse and all was installed. Plug and play at the servo, clock spring was already installed and wires in the pcm already there too! Good luck, this is one of my favorite conversions I have done!