Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Rear Light Trim & Seals

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2019, 09:35 AM
jumper.cables
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Rear Light Trim & Seals

Fellow B-Van owners... 1) does your van have chrome trim rings around the rear lights like this? Any idea why they would not fit one that came without them? Mine did not. Are they purely for looks or do they actually serve another purpose?

2) Have you ever replaced the seals between the rear light lenses and the body? My original ones are not holding up and finding them without buying then lens is tough (already have two spares!). Experimenting with door seals/universal weather stripping material has not been 100% successful. Thoughts?

Old 02-18-2020, 02:39 PM
89RamVan
Amateur
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Would have responded earlier, but I just joined a week ago. My '89 has the chrome trim like yours (they came as a package with the chrome bumpers & grill). I believe standard lenses should fit. Are you sure you're putting them on the right sides? Even though they look identical with same bolt patterns, there is a Right & Left lens, not interchangeable. They taper slightly & might not seal water tight if installed wrong. Just a thought.

*** UPDATE *** I foraged through my garage & found one of my original tail lights. There are two gaskets: One between the red plastic & chrome bezel and another between the bezel & body. Your pic with just the plastic lens shows only one gasket. I don't see why it shouldn't seal - it's the same shape gasket.

Last edited by 89RamVan; 02-18-2020 at 03:32 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jumper.cables (02-18-2020)
Old 02-18-2020, 09:55 PM
jumper.cables
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks. My main issue was that both gaskets in each taillight were dried up, cracked, and allowing water to get in. I found some black, thin, bytul-like tape that did the trick and they're all sealed up. Cleaning out all of the old gaskets... well, that was a fun afternoon

Quick Reply: Rear Light Trim & Seals