Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Trying to remove rear heater!

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2020, 12:11 PM
Allie JJay VanLife
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Trying to remove rear heater!

Hello guys, looking for a fellow van goer who may have some knowledge on this part in my van. I am currently converting my 1999 Dodge Ram van into a DIY converted living space. I am in the steps of gutting the vehicle and trying to remove unwanted items from the back. There is a heater/ AC located behind the left rear wheelwell that I would like to remove. I "stupidly" cut one of the wires after I removed the unit from the frame. it started to spew engine coolant (I believe), and now does every time I start the engine. I followed the lines back to the engine and it seems they connect to the AC and somewhere else. I am hoping someone has dealt with this thing before and can give me some advice. I was thinking of just clamping the hoses once towards the engine area and clipping off the rest, but I do not know if that will hurt the radiator or what?! Thanks again!

You can see the black hose I cut that leaks fluid when the car is running.

This is the Heater/ AC

I took the Top off it.

Old 09-15-2020, 05:22 AM
V. Nickerson
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just cut mine from underneath and used a (garden) hose mender to join the too coolant hoses so it just runs back up to the rad. Mine was just a heater though. No Ac. I would just plug the third (or all) line and just keep an eye on your coolant levels/temp gauge. regards V

Old 09-15-2020, 06:27 AM
Busted Nuckles
Professional
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Follow the lines up to the front and plug them off. The AC lines will be a little more involved and will require you to capture the freon, change AC lines to front AC only and recharge.

Old 09-15-2020, 07:16 AM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 593 Likes on 538 Posts

My Escalade had leaking lines to the rear a/c. There is a block off kit for around $25 that you disconnect the lines and then plug them at the engine. As for the heater hose, get a splice and connect the two hoses. They may be different sizes so you'll have to look closely. A splice and a couple of clamps should take care of it.

Old 09-16-2020, 09:43 PM
James02
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The coolant hoses split off from a "Y" in the engine bay and run to the back. You can remove the Y's and replace them with straight couplings and then remove the hoses all the way to the back. They run down to the right of the engine by the steering column. You'd probably want to plug the A/C lines at the same time so you can remove all those hoses to the back as well. Might want to have a shop evacuate the A/C refrigerant, cut and cap the lines, then have the shop fill it up again to the right pressure so you don't lose your AC.

Quick Reply: Trying to remove rear heater!