Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

1994 b250 5.2l gas starting issues - fuel pump?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2021, 09:32 AM
zeefoxx@gmail.com
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1994 b250 5.2l gas starting issues - fuel pump?

Guys, i have a '94 b250 5.2l gas with around 75k miles. in the past 6 years and driven less than 1k miles and i had to replace the fuel pump a second time. this time they also replaced the fuel pressure regulator. for the past two months it's giving me a hard time starting it (lots of cranks). i noticed when i do one crank only, stop and start again if fires right up. doing a lil research on the net i came across this:

"It sounds to me like you have typical Dodge Truck issue. What happens is when it sits all the gas drains out of the fuel line. This is caused by the check ball in the fuel pump sticking because of varnish. Try this trick to confirm it. When cold turn the ignition on BUT DON'T START. Just turn all the way on so the fuel pump will run. Turn it off and do this a second and third time. On the third time after 5 seconds go ahead and try to start. I'll bet it fires right up. If it does then my hunch is correct and it's an easy fix. Run two bottles of fuel cleaner with each full tank of gas for the next three or four tanks. This usually gets the varnish off the check ball. Then every so often run a bottle through the gas to keep it clean. Continue to use the trick to get gas back in your fuel lines when the truck is cold. The fuel pump doesn't run while starting because of the draw the starter pulls. So you have to "fill" the fuel lines back up until you get the varnish cleaned off of the check ball. - I should add when you turn the ignition on to run the fuel pump leave it on for 5 seconds before turning off to repeat the cycle."

i tried it and for sure it does make a huge difference. i will now try to fix this issue by adding two bottles of Seafoam (32oz) to ever full tank over the next four tanks and see if this improves/fixes the issue.

can it be that the tank is so dirty inside that i need to pull it and clean it out? i am also thinking about cutting an access panel from the top at this time because pulling that tank every time is no joke and just for accessing the fuel pump a pretty dumb set up i must say.

any experience or suggestions? please let me know.

thank you.

Old 07-14-2021, 09:31 PM
Gigantor
Amateur
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Did Seafoam fix the problem? Two cans of Seafoam seems like too much. I think the poster was thinking bottles of STP and the like, maybe 8n ounces. Seafoam does work when I use it in mowers.

Quick Reply: 1994 b250 5.2l gas starting issues - fuel pump?