Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

UV headlight bulbs have FANS in them?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2021, 03:26 PM
RubyVanner
Rookie
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default UV headlight bulbs have FANS in them?

I have been doing a headlight overhaul on the front of my 1999 dodge ram van 1500 - replaced the headlamp globes, corner lights, the failing headlight switch, and put in new uv headlight bulbs. I finally finished it all today, and when I tried the new headlight switch so I could actually see the lights shine, I heard buzzing. I freaked out, assuming it was an electrical electrical issue and gonna explode, but upon further inspection - the new uv lights were making the noise. Turns out they have a tiny fan on the back, and the sound just amplifies to the driver's seat when the engine and hvac are off. I have never seen lights like this so I thought I would give a heads up so others don't have to get really concerned like I did when they put them in.

Nothing like new grill and headlights to make a van look not 20+ years old!

Old 08-02-2021, 08:01 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

Why are you installing UV lights? What are you trying to disinfect? Lol. You mean LED’s? And yes. Some have fans. Others have a long heat sink.

Old 08-02-2021, 08:09 PM
RubyVanner
Rookie
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Bahaha! Yes, LEDs. I am used to the old school incandescents lol. That's what I get for trying to be fancy.

The following users liked this post:
jkeaton (08-03-2021)

Quick Reply: UV headlight bulbs have FANS in them?