Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Inner Fender Splash Shields

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2022, 02:03 PM
Mostly Blind
Amateur
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Inner Fender Splash Shields

Hello, All,
While working on my '02 Ram 1500 Van, I noticed that from inside the cabin and looking down and over the engine with the 'dog house' removed, I could see frame, wheel and driveway.
Granted, I don't see so well to begin with but, it looks like debris and water on the road could splash up and onto the engine and could explain why one of the spark plugs that I removed and replaced looked as tho' it had been sitting in water and was stained with rust.

So, my question is this....are splash shields supposed to be installed inside the wheel wells?

Thanks,
Richard in Pleasanton

Old 04-11-2022, 08:18 PM
Busted Nuckles
Professional
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

My 1999 has just one on the front passenger side, out of memory I don't think the drivers side even has holes to mount a splash shield.

Old 04-11-2022, 10:34 PM
ElkCon
Veteran
Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

IIRC the shields were deleted for 98+ vans for extra cooling. My 03 has none.

Old 04-12-2022, 09:01 AM
Mostly Blind
Amateur
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I guess that cooling might be improved without shields but, I don't know. I think that a listing I saw for recycled/used parts online had some. I saw that some folks had made DIY splash shields which I think I may try. I really am concerned about road debris bouncing around inside the engine compartment and putting holes in my new aluminum radiator. Also, it doesn't make sense to me to have water splashing up on a hot engine. Maybe I worry too much. :-)

Quick Reply: Inner Fender Splash Shields