Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Mystery line van wont start

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2023 | 12:01 PM
triwheels
|
Default Mystery line van wont start

1999 5.9 2500 dodge ram van cranks over but won't start . Guy that traded it to me said there was a vacuum leak so I'm assuming it's a vacuum leak. It drove around just fine for two weeks until yesterday it didn't start . So should this line be connected somewhere and where would that be ? Or can I blow in that tube to see where the leak is ?

Old 10-03-2023 | 08:41 PM
jeffersonracing
Professional

That line I would say has been disconnected the whole time so I doubt it's the problem. Check for spark and fuel. Also is there a check engine light, if so check for codes.

The following users liked this post:
triwheels (10-03-2023)
Old 10-04-2023 | 11:50 AM
ElkCon
Veteran

Did you try to start it in neutral? If you have dashlights ie. ABS/check engine etc. that come on when you turn the key, this may help your issue. The neutral saftey switch or the trans cable cause this type of no-start.

Also the crankshaft position sensor can cause a no start condition - also the ASD relay. Both have been covered extensively here within this forum.

Those lines are rear heater lines...so they would normally have coolant in them.

Vacuum leaks just make the van idle bad, run rough and get bad gas mileage.

Last edited by ElkCon; 10-04-2023 at 11:53 AM.
The following users liked this post:
triwheels (10-04-2023)
Old 10-04-2023 | 01:38 PM
triwheels
|

Yes thank you Elkcon for the info I did get it started this morning with a jump and foot on the throttle although I was only in park and the van was idling poorly kinda was loud and I saw some sort of exhaust or black smoke but I'll see if it starts after work

Quick Reply: Mystery line van wont start