Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Engine quits while driving

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 08:01 PM
bnm4805
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Engine quits while driving

Does anyone know if this has happened to any Dodge Caravans? I have a 2006 Caravan that has died out 3 times in the 4 months that I have owned it and the dealership keeps telling me nothing is wrong with it because it will not die out when they are looking at it. Please advise as soon as possible due to the fact that we are fighting the Lemon Law with the dealership and Chrysler directly.

Old 10-12-2006, 01:21 AM
tampasailor

a used computer from ebay for 30.00 fixed my problem on my 87 Ram 250 van. discount auto have them too and you may be able to return it if turns out it is not the problem. I have had a bad capacitor do similar in the past.. even new ones can be tempermental with heat. put a new cap in and find you still have problems will cause some head scratching... many made in china these days. they dont make em like they used to!

Old 10-12-2006, 09:05 PM
hillsoftn

Same problem here with 92 ram van. Have already replace computer. What exactly is the Hayes Switch and where is it located. Is it the same as the auto shutdown relay? Thanks for any help!

Old 10-15-2006, 01:25 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 224 Likes on 209 Posts

could be the crank position sensor. they are also a culprit for motors dying.

Old 10-19-2006, 08:10 PM
TwistedEX

Having what I think is a similar problem. My van starts and runs OK, but both my check engine lights are on (there's one on the speedo board and one next to the radio, go figure). I've checked the codes and replaced a sensor that I thought was the problem, but now *I can't get the PCM to reset*. I've disconnected the battery with the lights on for an hour, and when I reconnect it still has the same codes in it. It been a couple of months and the check engine light is still on, so its not the battery disconnect error. Is my PCM bad? Can somebody tell me where its located in the cabin?
1992 Ramvan 350 Cargo 390ci Auto w/OD

P.S. about 4 years ago I had the transmission rebuilt and I think the mechanic put the wrong speedo gear in, because my speedo is off by 5 mph...

Old 10-23-2006, 04:23 PM
MuskratJames

You know, my Mom's '96 Caravan (with that awful 3.0 Mitsu V6) had the same problem, except it would always start right back up. It would just stall with no warning and for no reason, even did it once on the freeway during rush hour. Dealer never could find it, after the third occurance we gave up and bought something else. I suspect something in the ECU itself had gone haywire.

Old 10-23-2006, 07:23 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 224 Likes on 209 Posts

probably the crank position sensor... i've heard of this failure on alot of other cars too... sometimes they'll start back up, other times it takes a while for things to cool downa nd satart working agian.

Old 11-14-2011, 12:44 PM
FL_Bill
Default Hey Killer Dad....don't kill me!!

Originally Posted by killerdad
thats funny i had the same problem with a 92 b-250 3.9 v-6 van i changed the computer,fuel pump (that was lots of fun) fuel filter, coil,ogs and cat converter. no luck! it would run like a champ but now and then just quit, but restart after time AND THEN someone told me about the hayes switch! the hayes switch you ask? (me to) well the hayes switch is like a tilt switch on a pinball mach. if the vehicle flips over it shuts off the fuel and elc. my hayes switch was bad
Hey Killerdad, that is funny because I am a certified Automotive Tech with over 20 years professional experience and 3 years working at a dodge dealership, 92-95, and I never heard of this “hayes switch”. So I called and talked to a few of my friends that currently still work in the parts departments at a local dodge-ship and they too never heard of such a thing.

??

Maybe you are calling it the wrong thing? I know of an ASD relay which it job is to shut down ever thing. It powers up the field of the alternator, the fuel injectors, the ignition coil, the heated oxygen sensor, and the PCM.

Hopefully you can supply a part number to this mysterious switch??

I am not really trying to call you out, just hoping to verify your post.

FL Bill

Old 11-14-2011, 07:34 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by FL_Bill
Hopefully you can supply a part number to this mysterious switch?
Since you did quote him, I trust you read the part about the purpose of this switch is to shut off the fuel supply should the vehicle roll over? I would think that a "certified Automotive Tech with over 20 years professional experience and 3 years working at a dodge dealership", as well as those currently employed in a Dodge dealership part department, would know what a Fuel Cutoff Switch (a.k.a. Inertia Switch) is!

Old 11-15-2011, 10:50 AM
FL_Bill
Default Well I did not claim to know everything....

Here we go...
One of the reasons I hardly post on public forums.

But they do have such great icons, like this one:
and this one:

Not to mention this one:

But my favorite:
And my sons favorite:

Originally Posted by alloro
Since you did quote him, I trust you read the part about the purpose of this switch is to shut off the fuel supply should the vehicle roll over? I would think that a "certified Automotive Tech with over 20 years professional experience and 3 years working at a dodge dealership", as well as those currently employed in a Dodge dealership part department, would know what a Fuel Cutoff Switch (a.k.a. Inertia Switch) is!

But I have yet to hear of an "inertia switch" on Mopar products. Thank for letting me know that they have them. (which I still cannot find a listing for them.) I know Ford Motor Company (aka FoMoCo) has been using IS for years, but have yet to have to replace one. I have had to reset a few in my time and have even triped them for testing. Also I have not seen them act intermitant. Either they work or they do not...

General Motors has been using a 3 pin oil pressure switch to kill the fuel pump. (useless triva, I know)

That is why I asked him if maybe he had a part number? Or maybe he was calling it by the wrong name?

I hope you have a great week! I am looking forward to one my self.

FL Bill

Quick Reply: Engine quits while driving