Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Power Steering Fluid Reservoir Location?

Old 05-05-2006, 06:02 PM
1999RamVan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Steering Fluid Reservoir Location?

I have a 1999 Ram Conversion Van, 1500, Sherry Conversions, small V-8, automatic. I do not see where to add power steering fluid? Anyone out there who knows, please let me know. (Someone said look next to the belt, but don't see it there) Is it an enclosed case? Sounds like it needs some added. Thanks

Old 05-06-2006, 12:12 PM
stev
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Power Steering Fluid Reservoir Location?

1999ramvan,

I have both B1500 V6 and B2500 V8. The V8 is like yours. When you open the small panel hood, nearly everything there has a filler neck with a cap or a dip stick of some kind. However, the PS reservoir is down below. You can reach it in an arms reach. The PS pump is mounted to the side of the engine and driven by the serpentine belt. The PS pump will be shaped like a drinking canteen, but in black. Even the cap is black.

When you get the cap off. Pay close attention to the hot engine and cold engine markings. Some people fill the PS reservoir when the vehicle is hot. This way, the upper marking isn't surpassed. Other people will fill the PS reservoir when the vehicle is cold, this way they don't get burned while touching around the engine. There's other reasons to fill it while cold too. One is, the PS fluid has not expanded due to temps of a hot engine. Adding in cool PS fluid to a cool reservoir hits the marking well. So, pay close attention if the fluid is low. If the fluid is at the correct marking for the vehicle temps, then DO NOT add anything. Too much fluid will blow a hydraulic seal in the PS system.

Stev

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Power Steering Fluid Reservoir Location?