Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

electronic speedo gauge? (speedometer cable broken)

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2006, 06:22 AM
chimpanzee
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default electronic speedo gauge? (speedometer cable broken)

I have '82 Dodge van (4x4) w/727 tranny, the speedometer cable is broken. The cable snapped at the connector, where it connects to the 203 transfer case. Can I just fix it by welding it? I have a 110v 125A mig-welder. I remember searching all over junk yards to find a replacement..no success.

One solution is just to get an electronic speedometer gauge package. Anyone know of any?

I found an Autometer 3989:

http://www.autometer.com/cat_gaugede...id=2807&sid=15

sending unit here

Old 11-05-2006, 04:51 PM
IGadget
Professional
Default RE: electronic speedo gauge? (speedometer cable broken)

IF you go that route you will also need a sender since the existing is a mechanical, not electrical connection. I lost one cable to rust through after the plastic covering was melted off by laying on the exaust (a gift from the previous owner). I was fortunate to find one in a yard though. Im not sure how different the 4wd is from the 2wd cable, but try looking from 79 to 87 for a replacement.

Id suggest a gague that has a more realistic range. Fastest Ive ever been in my '83 was about 90 and that was on a long downhill with a tail wind. At that speed the spedo cable was jumping arround so much that the head was unreadable (20mph swings) untill it pinned above 85. I figured the speed by using the highway markers and a stopwatch.

Old 11-06-2006, 08:17 PM
chimpanzee
Default RE: electronic speedo gauge? (speedometer cable broken)

I just ended up going to N. Hollywood speedometer:

http://www.nhspeedometer.com

..they made me cable while I waited. $55 for 10 ft.

Quick Reply: electronic speedo gauge? (speedometer cable broken)