Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

Vibrations - but no good ones

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 03:16 AM
moonraker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vibrations - but no good ones

I have a 3500 dually 4WD long box with cummins 5.9 and 6 speed box and it recently developed a horrendous vibration between 10-20 mph. Above that it smooths out and is not noticeable cruising at 50-60 mph. I just changed the centre carrier/bearing, cost me an arm and a leg at my local Dodge dealer, and that didn't make a bit of difference to it. It's not engine related because I shut the engine off and rolled in neutral and it still did the same vibration at the same speed. Any ideas anyone because I have run out?

Old 04-05-2007, 01:11 PM
Captain Squalus
Record Breaker
Default RE: Vibrations - but no good ones

have rotated tires lately?
mismached tires on the same hub on the rear axle.
It don't take much differance. (some times tread wear alone is enough)

Old 04-07-2007, 05:59 PM
moonraker

Thanks for the reply. No I've never rotated the tyres, I 've only had the truck about a month now and all the tyres look in good condition, i.e. plenty of tread left on them. If I were to rotate them, how do I know I am not going to make the problem worse if it is that sensitive to different amounts of wear? Do I need to measure the tread depth to a certain degree of accuracy?

Old 04-07-2007, 10:39 PM
Captain Squalus
Record Breaker

on duals you always want to match the tires as closley as posable on the same hub.
different dia. tires want to travel different distances in one revolution.
missmatched tires can give you a vibration and will wear excessivily fast and will hurt your mpg.

Old 04-16-2007, 01:00 AM
moonraker

Yippee!! Sorted!
I found out that the universal joints didn't cost very much so I bought the whole set (except for one which was changed when I bought the truck) with the intention of changing them all. I got the after market ones with grease nipples in which seemed like a sensible idea to me given that the joints are operating in a harsh environment and might need some lubrication from time to time.

The good intentions faltered a bit after spending the whole day on Saturday trying to change the rear pair on the front shaft. In the end I changed all except two, one on the very front of the front shaft and one just after the gearbox on the rear shaft. The ones on the front shaft were not quite worn out but were on thier way. The centre one on the rear shaft was well f*****d, two of the cups were full of rust, dust and crappy rollers. Just been out for a test drive and it's a smooth as silk now; well, as smooth as trucks get I imagine. So nice to get a result after lots of hard work.

Old 04-16-2007, 01:41 AM
Captain Squalus
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: moonraker

Yippee!! Sorted!
I found out that the universal joints didn't cost very much so I bought the whole set (except for one which was changed when I bought the truck) with the intention of changing them all. I got the after market ones with grease nipples in which seemed like a sensible idea to me given that the joints are operating in a harsh environment and might need some lubrication from time to time.

The good intentions faltered a bit after spending the whole day on Saturday trying to change the rear pair on the front shaft. In the end I changed all except two, one on the very front of the front shaft and one just after the gearbox on the rear shaft. The ones on the front shaft were not quite worn out but were on thier way. The centre one on the rear shaft was well f*****d, two of the cups were full of rust, dust and crappy rollers. Just been out for a test drive and it's a smooth as silk now; well, as smooth as trucks get I imagine. So nice to get a result after lots of hard work.

Good to hear you got it fixed most usaly when they get that bad to have rusted rollers they start squeaking.

Quick Reply: Vibrations - but no good ones