Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

2500 V10 Transmission pro

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2003, 05:11 PM
mhr650
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2500 V10 Transmission pro

<P class=Msonormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><FONT face="Times New Roman" size=3>I experienced a subtle transmission problem on a long trip over Christmas.</FONT></P>
<P class=Msonormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><FONT size=3><FONT face="Times New Roman"><?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o></FONT></FONT></P>
<P class=Msonormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><FONT face="Times New Roman" size=3>Truck is a 98, 2500HD, 8.0L V10, 2WD, Automatic, 85K miles.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"> </SPAN>Trans fluid is full to over full, clear and no burnt smell.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"> </SPAN>No warning lights or error codes.</FONT></P>
<P class=Msonormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><FONT size=3><FONT face="Times New Roman"><o></o></FONT></FONT></P>
<P class=Msonormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><FONT face="Times New Roman" size=3>When driving on flat to slightly rolling terrain at highway speed, 75 mph @ 2000 rpm.</FONT></P>
<P class=Msonormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><FONT face="Times New Roman" size=3>The rpm would suddenly rise 200 to 400 rpm, then immediately go back down to 2000.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"> </SPAN>At highway speed turning the OD off seemed to cure the problem, but when cruising around town with the OD off at 20 to 40 mph I could still feel it happening.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"> </SPAN>When I got closer to home and the mountains it would pull upthe big grades fine, no slippage at all.</FONT></P>
<P class=Msonormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><FONT size=3><FONT face="Times New Roman"><o></o></FONT></FONT></P>
<P class=Msonormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><FONT face="Times New Roman" size=3>It seemed like the lock up torque converter was unlocking then immediately locking back up.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"> </SPAN>Is there any thing that would cause the converter to unlock randomly besides a bad converter?</FONT></P>
<P class=Msonormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><FONT face="Times New Roman" size=3>Thanks</FONT></P>
<P class=Msonormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><FONT face="Times New Roman" size=3>Mike</FONT></P>
<P class=MsoAutoSig style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><FONT size=2><FONT face=Arial><o></o></FONT></FONT></P>
<P class=MsoAutoSig style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><FONT face=Arial size=2>mharris@turbos.bwauto.com</FONT></P>

Old 01-06-2004, 12:59 AM
Redhairedcwgirl
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man, I wish I could help you, other than it does sound like your torque converteris bad. It just makes me sooo thankful for my 5 forward gears, reverse and a clutch!Good luck, this will probably cost more than you'd like.

Old 01-22-2004, 11:19 PM
mhr650
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

<P style="MARGIN-BOTTOM: 0in">I <SPAN lang=en-US>haven't</SPAN> had the same symptom again, but i have been having what i believe is a related problem. I am getting torque converter shudder when I am going up hills.</P>
<P style="MARGIN-BOTTOM: 0in">Has anyone with a Dodge been <SPAN lang=en-US>successful</SPAN> curing a shudder problem by changing the transmission fluid and filter? After checking it looks <SPAN lang=en-US>like</SPAN> the fluid has never been changed in 85K miles. I know that it sometimes works with Fords, but I have never tried it in a Dodge. If I do change the fluid I want to get it done right with a flush machine. If that cures the problem great, but if I still have to replace the converter I am out $100 to $150.</P>
<P style="MARGIN-BOTTOM: 0in">So does anyone have any <SPAN lang=en-US>personnel</SPAN> experience?</P>
<P style="MARGIN-BOTTOM: 0in">Thanks</P>
<P style="MARGIN-BOTTOM: 0in">Mike</P>
<P style="MARGIN-BOTTOM: 0in">mharris@turbos.bwauto.com</P>

Quick Reply: 2500 V10 Transmission pro