Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

wondering about air filters?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2004, 02:31 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default wondering about air filters?

something interesting I just stumbled across, I dont know if it will change your mind or not, but it does make you think. now while these tests were done for the duramax diesel, they should transpose over for for just about any engine.

http://home.usadatanet.net/~jbplock/ISO5011/SPICER.htm

Old 10-04-2004, 03:23 AM
356MAGNUM
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: wondering about air filters?

I was looking in my throttle body when I first got my '02 ram(9000miles) and it was clean with the paper filter. When I replaced the air box with a tube and had the k&n on it for about 3000 miles, there was black oily soot all over the TB. This test confirms what I thought, more airflow more dirt. I just stick with the stock paper and replace every 6000.

Old 10-08-2004, 04:34 PM
texas dodge
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: wondering about air filters?

ORIGINAL: 356MAGNUM

I was looking in my throttle body when I first got my '02 ram(9000miles) and it was clean with the paper filter. When I replaced the air box with a tube and had the k&n on it for about 3000 miles, there was black oily soot all over the TB. This test confirms what I thought, more airflow more dirt. I just stick with the stock paper and replace every 6000.

I have had my K&N in for about 10,000 miles and my throttle body is still clean. Maybe the K&N came from the factory with too much oil on it and that is why is black in the throttle body. I know you have to be careful when reoiling the filter so to not put to much oil on it.

Quick Reply: wondering about air filters?